jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What birth order you definitely would not want to be and why?

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

What birth order you definitely would not want to be and why?

2. stanwshura profile image73
    stanwshuraposted 5 years ago

Well, I have no opinion for any realistic or anything but THE most rare hypotheticals, and/or perhaps my own history.  I would not wish to be the youngest of a large "litter".  I've seen and endured those who steal authority that isn't theirs.  I would not want to live a life where, for a majority chunk of my childhood there would be 3, 4, 6 people who would feel entitled to tell me what to do, a status beheld by only 2, and as mom and dad, should be wielded fairly.

I would not want to be the oldest among a bunch of kids, the next oldest being some 3 or more years younger.  On this "oldest" position, I speak from experience.  I'm a brother, not a parent.  You did the horizontal mambo, don't you dare blame me for jr's mayhem, or dump supervisory responsibility on me without direct teaching, and, oh yeah....my consent!  I'm still learning, at great pains, how to manage MY life without th onslaught of unspoken expectations, ridicule, criticism and a burgeoning fear of failing...*everything*.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I see your point.   I am extremely lucky to be an only child.   The birth order I definitely do not want to be is the oldest child in a large to very large family.   Those poor souls are on beck and call 24/7/365 to their parents and siblings.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

As an only child I just have to guess based on people I have known in my life. I would not want to be the middle child.  Oldest gets things first and the complete adoration of the new parents who think every thing the first child does is magic.

The youngest is still the baby, getting things handed to them by older siblings--such as bottles, sippy cups etc.   And there in the midst of it all is the middle child - not the first and not the baby.  That could be a sad thing, I think.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It ALL depends.  While the oldest child in small families are lionized and glorified by their parents and younger sibling, it is the OPPOSITE in large to very large families where they are discarded or must be there 24/7/365 for parents and siblings.

working