jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Effect of Birth Order on You? Did You Wish You Were The Oldest or Youngest Child

1. Shil1978 profile image92
    Shil1978posted 6 years ago

Effect of Birth Order on You? Did You Wish You Were The Oldest or Youngest Child in Your Family?

2. VirginiaLynne profile image97
    VirginiaLynneposted 6 years ago

I am the oldest and I know it shaped me to be more responsible and serving of other people.

3. hildred profile image78
    hildredposted 6 years ago

Hm. I am an only child to my mother, but the middle child in the mixed family. However, I see myself as an only child, as that was how I was essentially raised. I never really thought about being the youngest or the oldest. Being an only child (for the most part) made me pretty self-reliant and creative. Since I lived in a very rural area growing up and usually had nobody to play with I had to come up with most of my activities on my own. I'm actually thankful for that as it's made me quite an independent person.

On the other hand, it did create some social anxiety and I don't have a very extended family network.

4. wearing well profile image76
    wearing wellposted 6 years ago

No as I was the middle child and fit in nicely; although at times I did sometimes feel left out.It has made me a sensitive and caring person who doesn't expect much out of life i.e. I am not materialistic smile

5. moonfairy profile image79
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

I am the oldest of 4 and all the responsibility landed on me...and my mom was the strictest with me...the rules were unbelievable. The youngest ended up with no responsiblity and no rules...so I guess I set the tempo. I always had to prove myself, which was tough because with my mom, you were guilty until proven innocent...but cest la vie...such is life. I survived and now it's nice because my brother and sister come to me whenever things go crazy and it's wonderful to be able to be there for them. I hated being the oldest back then, but like it now smile

6. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 months ago

I am an only child.  Never wished to be the oldest because oldest children have no individual life to speak of.  They are also inundated w/responsibilities from early childhood or before they are ready.  They are treated the MOST DISPARAGINGLY by parents.  They are cast aside like old worn shoes in favor of younger siblings.  They aren't shown parental love nor attention.  They must be on 24/7/365 for parents & younger siblings i.e. a slave. 

Don't want to be youngest because youngest children are babied & pampered.  They are infantilized beyond an age when it is appropriate.  Youngest children are treated more preferentially by their parents much to the chagrin of oldest/older siblings.   Youngest children are catered to so much that they become selfish.  They are attention seeking & not expected to do much or assume responsibility.

Being an only child helps me to be resourceful & creative.  I was never lonely-had parents, cousins, & friends as companions.  Being an only child helped me to become universalistic in scope.  To me, family doesn't mean blood, it means a commonality.   As an only child, I can choose the family I want & based upon common interests.   Being an only child helped me to be fiercely independent.  I can be alone for period at a time.  I relish it- I can spend time writing, drawing, cleaning, working on the computer, reading, & other solitary pursuits which would immobilize a person w/siblings.  I am BLESSED to be an only child- wouldn't change it for.....THE WORLD..... 
    https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13148167.jpg
    Being an only child helped me reach out to others, particularly those in need.  There is a world outside of & besides me.  I am highly concerned about others & want them to have & live a good life w/o struggle.  I don't like to see others suffering which explains why I am vocal & passionate about the family.

working