jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

On a periodic table what element goes into or went into slot 113?

1. davenmidtown profile image87
    davenmidtownposted 5 years ago

On a periodic table what element goes into or went into slot 113?

So I was sitting in physical geology class today and on the wall was a periodic table. I was trying to see how many symbols I remembered from high school... that would be back in 1984... but I noticed that there was a space between 112 and 114 as though something had been removed... what was it? why is it gone? was it ever there?

2. breathe2travel profile image80
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

eka-thallium, often refered to simply as "element 113". smile Wonder what happened to it?

davenmidtownposted 5 years agoin reply to this

awesome! It seems to be a myster!

3. Little two two profile image87
    Little two twoposted 5 years ago

My understanding was that the periodic table has blank spots for undiscovered or assumed elements that for a few reasons were unable to be discovered. Example elements 99 and 100 were undiscovered till the 1952 fallout from the hydrogen bomb explosion at Eniwetok Atoll in Pacific Ocean.

Back in 2003/04, experiments were performed on element 115. Now I am not technical enough to get into the whole thing, but basically the results of those tests exposed or brought to light element 113. Both are considered temporary till proven by other labs ... but the element 113 is called (temporarily) Ununtrium or Uut. Eka-thallium is its alternative name.

so the scientific community is waiting for another lab to duplicate those experiments that took place back in 02/04 before they can accurately lable a new element?

2. Little two two profile image87
      Little two twoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Davenmidtown - not a specific lab, but any lab or such. For a 'discovery' to be legit, it needs to be duplicated by other scientists. Verified if you will.

3. davenmidtown profile image87

yes... kind of what cold fushion was missing... is missing...

working