jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think that archaeology is worth studying? Why or why not?

1. hockey8mn profile image76
    hockey8mnposted 5 years ago

Do you think that archaeology is worth studying?  Why or why not?

2. HikeGuy profile image75
    HikeGuyposted 5 years ago

Yes. I've been studying ancient cultures since I was a child. I minored in Classical Archaeology in grad school. An appreciation of ancient cultures and the methods of excavating and preserving their artifacts and remains has broadened my world view and enriched my life. My background and ongoing reading feeds into my fiction and non-fiction. So I'm biased. Give me the ancient Egyptians, Mayans, Aztecs, Hittites and Danish bog bodies over contemporary consumer culture.

3. edmob1 profile image60
    edmob1posted 5 years ago

Of course it is worthy of study. Part of being human is to explore not just the future but also the past. Peoples have sung,told stories,invented the characters we now accept,so explore their world is is like tracing an ancestor.
    As to why not. Sorry I cannot think of a reason.

4. bankscottage profile image94
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

From an academic intellectual point of view, of course it is worth studying.  Are there careers in archeology?  Do you enjoy digging in the dirt in remote areas of foreign countries where you don't speak the language?  Does your dad have to pay for the education?  If your answers are yes, yes, no then have at it.  I couldn't think of one reason it isn't worth studying.

hockey8mnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would say kind of, yes, and somewhat.  Job perspectives are limited in the field, I love to travel, and my dad has helped me out a lot, however, I have also take some of the burdens of college life myself.  Don't tell him, he might think I care lol

5. visionandfocus profile image72
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

Anything is worth studying if you're interested in it, and if you're passionate about it, then it would be a mistake not to study it. We're urged to follow our hearts, and I happen to believe that not doing so puts your spirit at risk. Things call to you for a reason, so don't deny what feels right for you. Go for it and feed your soul!

hockey8mnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Awesome answer.  I got into the field of anthropology because it is my passion.  It will be something I take with me through life.  I would rather be happy than extremely wealthy.  I will make things work because I can't afford to fail.

working