This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Hurricanes: Why do they call them using female names ?

1. agusfanani profile image75
    agusfananiposted 5 years ago

Hurricanes: Why do they call them using female names ?

Why are hurricanes  mostly called using female names like Katrina, Arlene, Bret, Cindy,  Emily, Franklin, Irene, Jose, Katia, Lee, Maria, Nate, Ophelia, Philippe, Rina, Sean, Tammy, Whitney ?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7249484_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago

There is no pattern of female names for hurricanes.  The only pattern is to name them alphabetically, as shown in your question.  In fact, several of the names in the body of your question are male names, e.g., Franklin, Jose, Nate, Sean, and Philippe.  One of the largest and most destructive hurricanes in U.S. history was Hurricane Andrew.

smile

agusfananiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer. Yes, some are male names but the majority is female names.

3. joanwz profile image74
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

Actually, they orginally called all Atlantic hurricanes by femaile names, in alphabetical order, skipping the letters Q, X, and Z because there weren't enough names beginning with those lletters. I'm not sure why though it would be interesting to find out. In the late 20th century, they changed the naming patterns, supposedly to give males an equal opportunity at being a named storm. So now the names altenate between male and female names, still in alphabetical order, and still omitting names beginning with Q, X, and Z. The years that the names begin with a female name alternates with years beginning with an male name.

I am not sure about the naming practices for Pacific Hurricanes. That's something I have never investigated.

Hi joanwz, I like your answers, thank you..

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Jokanwz is correct. The only thing to add is that names are recycled every few years, except for major hurricanes. There will never be another Katrina, Rita, Camile, Andrew , Betsy, etc. Male and female names are used to provide more names to use.

3. Daemonkin profile image70
      Daemonkinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Just to add to this, they started using male names during the 1979 hurricane season. I think it might be interesting to see if the pattern you may or may not be seeing is named storms striking the US.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Not all hurricanes are called female names. It's alphabetical. There was Charlie, Phillip, George, etc.

Yes, you're right but it seems that female names  are preferable to be used. Thank you for your answer.

5. Daemonkin profile image70
    Daemonkinposted 5 years ago

Originally all hurricanes were named female names because, according to the lore, the storms were like a pissed off woman.

The official reason is because it's easier to remember names than lat/long coordinates that were used up to WWII.

Now we alternate. One female and one male name. They use 6 lists over and over unless a storm is so bad that it would be tasteless to reuse the name. Then that name is retired, like Ivan, Ike, Andrew, Hugo, Katrina, etc.

If more than 20 named storms happen in a single season, they start using the Greek alphabet to name storms.

I really have something new here from your answer, specially from the first paragraph. Thank you very much for your answer.

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Hurricane Andrew?  It used to be only female names but that has changed now and  the names you mentioned are not all female:  Bret, Franklin, Jose', Lee, Nate, Philippe, Sean......

Yes, you're right. Thank you for your answer.

working