jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the treatment of panic attack?

1. thumbi7 profile image64
    thumbi7posted 5 years ago

What is the treatment of panic attack?

Some one who is very close to me gets frequent panic attacks. Her BP shoots up....Blood Sugar shoots up. I am at a loss how to help her.

2. nurseleah profile image87
    nurseleahposted 5 years ago

She needs to see someone who specializes in mental health disorders, like a psychiatrist and/or a good cognitive-behavioral therapist. There are many medications on the market that she could try (with a prescription). The psychiatrist would be able to assess her individual needs and recommend a medication or combination of medications. People take antidepressants (Paxil, Celexa, Cymbalta), anxiolytics (Ativan, Xanax, Buspar), and antiepileptics (Depakote, Tegretol, Neurontin) to help with panic attacks. The therapist could work with her on identifying triggers, anticipating anxiety-inducing situations and learning coping skills to deal with those situations, enhancing self-esteem and more. She is lucky to have someone in her life who cares enough about her to look into this.

3. Woody Marx profile image72
    Woody Marxposted 5 years ago

I have been subject to panic attack at various times of my life, and there were times when I felt I was living in a panic attack that lasted for hours.  I have used self-hypnotic relaxation techniques that helped somewhat, but it was only when my doctor started prescribing 'beta blockers' that they totally disappeared and allowed me to be free of them.  I do not take beta blockers presently but if the panic attacks were to return I would not hesitate using them again. 

It was at night, in the the early hours of the morning that usually had the worse attacks...believing things in my semi-doze that in the morning I would not believe for a second. There is something about the night time that can bring out the irrational in me. But when I had the beta blockers I was free of the attacks as they steady the heart without actually affecting the mental-agility the way tranquilizers do. So that is why I prefer them.

I know there are other ways to overcome this affliction. NLP is one way and there are many others.  There is no need for a person in this day and age to suffer panic attacks with all the helps and aids available to them.

4. thumbi7 profile image64
    thumbi7posted 5 years ago

Thanks for the support. It is always good to hear from people who have seen such patients or experienced it themselves. I feel so relieved reading your answers.
    Thank you very much.

5. amsoza profile image76
    amsozaposted 5 years ago

Panic attacks are miserable.  I had them when I was younger.  Two things helped me get through them.  First, the realization that despite the physical symptoms I was not suffering from a heart attack or anything that was actually endangering my health.  Second, a panic attach is time limited and will end, usually in under ten minutes.  Though some can go on for hours, mine lasted five to ten minutes.

I liked the recommendations from nurseleah.  See a therapist for counseling and psychiatrist for medications.  Though medication is not always necessary.
    I would add a recommendation to have a physical to eliminate any medical problems.  The good news for your friend is the prognosis for panic attacks is very good, most people have a full recovery.