jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you prepare for a major storm?

1. Michelle Taylor profile image76
    Michelle Taylorposted 5 years ago

How do you prepare for a major storm?

Also how soon do you start stockpiling food and supplies?

2. tipstoretireearly profile image84
    tipstoretireearlyposted 5 years ago

I make sure all the gutters and drains are running freely so water will have a place to go.  I also make sure to pick up anything that could be blown around, and move my car so its not under a big tree branch.

3. Marsei profile image88
    Marseiposted 5 years ago

We're always semi-prepared during hurricane season here.  We buy foods that are nonperishable, lots of water, bags of ice to layer  in the freezer to help preserve the food when the power goes out, lots of batteries, pick up everything, flower pots, etc., out of the yards and put in storeroom.  We have a generator, but only run it a few hours a day during a storm.  We generally don't leave for storms, so as soon as we hear one is coming in, we get supplies.  Of course, we fill up the cars with gas, make sure all our prescriptions are filled, locate all the candles and lanterns.  We usually buy extra food in case family comes to stay with us.  We let everyone know that the power will likely go off and not to worry, because we're probably fine even if we don't answer the phone.  Then we relax and enjoy the break from the routine.  Hurricane Isaac is the last storm we rode out.  I have a hub about it and I think it goes into preparation.  I love living in New Orleans, but I could do without the hurricanes.

4. MomsTreasureChest profile image91
    MomsTreasureChestposted 5 years ago

I think I'll take some of Marsei's suggestions, it looks like Hurricane Sandy is headed our way.

5. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

As soon as I hear it is possibly heading my way. Most of the supplied are already stock pilled in my home. I would just have to check inventory and purchase what I am low on.