If you lived in the path of Hurricane Sandy coming ashore would you refuse to le

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (26 posts)
  1. flacoinohio profile image77
    flacoinohioposted 11 years ago

If you lived in the path of Hurricane Sandy coming ashore would you refuse to leave your home?

I am watching the news about Hurricane Sandy and there are stories about people refusing to leave their homes.  There are even people out walking around on the beaches and board walks taking pictures even though they are in danger of getting swept away in the rising water.  New York City Police are starting to arrest people who refuse to leave areas where water and wind  speeds are rising.  I am amazed at the boldness of people who have not left areas that are being evacuated.  It is surprising that people ignored weather warnings and waited until the last minute to prepare for the storm.

2. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Yes. It is only a level 1. The worst is flooding and rain damage mostly. I don't think they shouldn't arrest people who refuse to leave! That is rediculous! It is a choice to stay. I have never run from a hurricane, and would only leave for a high level one.

1. mollymeadows profile image70
      mollymeadowsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Flaco, no one would have to ask me twice. I'd take a seat on the wing of a plane! Those pictures of the ocean made a believer out of me!

2. lburmaster profile image71
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Also consider where you live. I'm from a place used to hurricanes, so they are common here. They are panicing on the Eastern coast, and I'm enjoying that they finally have a hurricane.

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you serious?? This the worst combination of storms in the history of the United States with storm surges of 12-14 feet. The people who stay are just risking the lives of those who will have to come and save their lives.

4. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lburmaster, People have died from this storm and more are about to...  you should be ashamed of yourself .

5. profile image0

AMEN Just.

6. lburmaster profile image71

Only 17 in seven states. That isn't bad for a hurricane. They probably died in a fire or drowned. Yes, they are risking their lives. As I do every year living in the Gulf and as everyone living in California. They are sitting on an earthquake zone.

7. profile image0

Only 17? Do you not have any compassion?? Those are 17 families who are devastated today for the loss of a loved one. I'm sure you would have a different perspective if it were someone you cared about.

8. lburmaster profile image71

I've had family members die in hurricanes. I've lived in Louisiana, Florida, and Texas. Hurricanes are entirely common for me and a regular act of life. If someone dies in a hurricane, it is normal from my perspective.

9. profile image0

We have to accept that death is a part of any major hurricane or earthquake, but a normal person does not wish them on others. Those who do must been born without an empathy gene.

10. profile image0

Just, I think it is a lack of maturity. I'm just sitting here with my jaw on my desk. SMH.

11. profile image0

JThomp I agree with you... time to move on and talk to the grownups.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Without question, I would evacuate. Why should I be hard headed and then risk not only my life but also the first responders who are going to risk their lives just because of someone's ego to come and save their rear end? That is just ridiculous.

1. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
      ReneeDC1979posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great point JThomp42 - I don't think people think about the first responders who as part of their job have to come knock on doors and tell people to leave their homes.  They are unable to evacuate with their families because of us.

4. sradie profile image60
    sradieposted 11 years ago

No, there is nothing in the material world worth the risk of losing life. Not just my own but the lives of those who share my home with me. There are people who depend on me or need me for one reason or another. My life is centered on service to others so it would be very selfish to chase after the perishable in lieu of the eternal. Nothing we do on earth matters except the things we do for others.

5. oz-vitez profile image62
    oz-vitezposted 11 years ago

This is a situational question. I lived on the Gulf Coast for 10 years, and went through three hurricanes and several tropical storms. I only evacuated for one storm, a 3-strength storm that hit 50 miles east of my house. Otherwise, I toughed it out with my family. Everyone needs to be responsible and make their own choice based on given conditions.

It's amazing to me that the Pilgrims and Pioneers did not think about the lives of first responders when they came to and migrated across this country. How foolish of them to believe they could survive tough conditions on their own. For shame!

1. Express10 profile image86
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Everyone needs to be responsible and make their own choice. Due to skills and supplies, a nurse or Dr. with a whole house generator, food, water, and other supplies would be better off staying put than a gamer living in mom's basement.

6. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

Some people just don't think and some may have stayed behind because they had no way out, those are probably those in shelters.

They just had the Governor Of New Jersey tell people in Atlantic City that did not leave, they now have to wait until morning to be rescued, bet it will be one very long night for them. Such a sad situation to watch.

7. Cathleena Beams profile image76
    Cathleena Beamsposted 11 years ago

I would heed the warning and evacuate.  Better safe than sorry.  My kitty Jolee would be meowing her protest I'm sure since she doesn't like to travel, but I'd definitely pack her in the car too and inland we would all go.

8. annerivendell profile image59
    annerivendellposted 11 years ago

Warnings are not issued for fun. There is real danger and if people make a choice to stay and then get in trouble, they still expect the rescue workers to risk their life in order to rescue them. It's a choice that effects other people, so no, I would not stay. I

9. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

People who refuse to leave their homes in this type of situation pose a danger both to themselves and first responders.   Stubbornly refusing to take yourself to safety is  ridiculous and is not something I would ever do...and I live in Florida, where storms hit often!

10. sharewhatuknow profile image59
    sharewhatuknowposted 11 years ago

No I would not. Why would I want to go without electricity (TV, computer/internet, electric stoves/electric toasters and ovens/refrigerator/hot water-if your tank is electric-no hot water, no warm baths or showers). You can't even charge your cellphone once the battery in dead.

You can't drive anywhere because of flooding, downed trees, limbs and power lines, or other debris on the roads.

Why would anyone do that to themself?  Only someone who loves a complicated life I suppose.

11. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Some people are self sufficient in these situations while many are not. Each must correctly choose what is best for them in that particular situation. For a LARGE number of people, that would be to evacuate. But for a reasonable number of others, they could be perfectly fine only if they are extremely well prepared.

After living without power for TWO weeks during hurricane Isabel, in my area I might still stay...if I was well prepared with a WHOLE house generator. This is in addition to my usual of having a working walkie talkie and about three weeks of food, water, etc. on hand. I assure you I would not be one of those people that choose to stay and then ask for help at the height of the storm, asking others to risk their lives.

Hurricane Isabel and my father directly and indirectly taught me a thing or two about being self sufficient and proactive. You don't get there overnight, but if you see value in these things, you will get there. An added benefit is these two characteristics are important in many areas of life, hurricanes aside.

12. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Heck NO!  Hopefully, I would have enough notice to gather the important papers, photos and jewelry...the rest is replacable.  Geeze!   I cannot figure people out...it is no joke when these hurricane's hit.

13. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

Great Question - flacoinohio
    My answer would have to be no.  The house is only a temporary structure and life is too precious.  Unless God comes down and says Renee' stay here and don't move, I'm leaving.  I may be sad if I lose my home.  But, I've started over before and I can do it again.  It's like the saying goes "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)