jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

When is the next ice age due to occur?

1. andrew savage profile image60
    andrew savageposted 5 years ago

When is the next ice age due to occur?

2. Eco_Ali profile image75
    Eco_Aliposted 5 years ago

Andrew, some scientists say that when enough polar ice such as the glaciers of Greenland deposit so much fresh water into the north Atlantic currents changinging pH and salinity, it could trigger the beginning of such global climate change that could lead to a cycle of. planetary freezing conditions.
    Another condition could be the magnetic polar flip, a phenomenon that has already occurred several times over the millenia.  Evidence of this is seen in the alternating crystal structure of deep ocean crust along the divergent mid Atlantic Ridge.
    Either way, another ice age is inevitable but not to fear...the Neanderthals survived 300,000 years over several such climatic changes.  If modern man were wise enough to become reconnected with the natural world in such a way as to revive his primal consciousness, I believe we could be as successful as Neanderthals!

3. capon profile image60
    caponposted 5 years ago

When I was young, at school and impressionable, back in the 70's. The concern was the immanent ice-age. Now the concern is for global warming! Frankly, I don't think anyone knows, all they do is guess and use elements of science to back up predictions.
    On the other hand my view is also a "Guess."

1. Eco_Ali profile image75
      Eco_Aliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Tony, the nature of the universe and all its self-organizing, self-adjusting systems is cyclical...undulating...with direction and purpose.  Very little happens by chance.  Predictions are based on the study of repeated patterns and conditions.