jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why '0' comes after '9' in keyboards and keypads? Does not it has to come before

1. ahmed.b profile image75
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

Why '0' comes after '9' in keyboards and keypads? Does not it has to come before '1' logically?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7698429_f260.jpg

2. Jake4102 profile image85
    Jake4102posted 5 years ago

Logically 0 is just the absence of a number. I think it comes after for ease of typing. Because 0 is usually typed after another number (ie 90 405 73402 etc.) I think it is for ease of use.

3. profile image51
    hridyamposted 5 years ago

Because '0' is usually use after another number,otherwise '0' has no value atall.I think so.There is no value for zero when it is using before a number. If zero is comes  the left side of a number the value of it will decrease.If it comes after any number the value will become greater.

4. Aficionada profile image88
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

When you count, do you start with zero? Everyone that I know does not. They (we) always start with "one."

Zero is just a place-holder, sort of like what Jake4102 says; it is just present to help indicate that there are no members of the group where it appears (no units, if in the "ones" place; no tens, or hundreds, etc., if appearing in those places). If we had no Zero, how would we know whether a "1" meant 1, 10, 100, or 1000, etc.?

Since we use a decimal counting system, we group numbers by tens. We would only logically begin each decade of numbers with 0 or 10 or 20 or 30 - and so forth - if we actually began our counting with "0." And why would it be logical to do that?

working