jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Who was the worst 20th century president for economy

1. sahbam16 profile image80
    sahbam16posted 5 years ago

Who was the worst 20th century president for economy

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Probably President Reagan, even though he didn't have much to do with it. He made us a debtor nation to Asia, ran up the national debt, and facilitated a false sense of prosperity that continues to this day.

1. profile image0
      ViolinByCourtneyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If he didn't have much to do with it, than how was he responsible? Either he had something to do with it or he didn't. You can't have it both ways.

2. sahbam16 profile image80
      sahbam16posted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's a very interesting point, and many historians have commented on the long-lasting problems as a result of his short term fixes.

3. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Violin, I was trying to find a polite way of saying he didn't know what he was doing and that his staff developed his policies. The only thing he ever really did as president was nuclear arms reduction.

3. profile image0
    ViolinByCourtneyposted 5 years ago

I think it was Truman. FDR instituted some quick fixes that turned out to be not so quick until the increased production triggered by WWII finally jump-started them. In doing so, he dramatically increased federal expenditures. I believe that when things began to improve in the late 1940s and early 1950s, Truman had a responsibility to cut back on government spending and let the private sector thrive in the new-found prosperity. Instead, he kept all of the programs that had been intended to provide temporary jobs while people got back on their feet and therefore set a precedent concerning government growth and expenditures. Then, he went to war with North Korea, appointed a general who had already been proven incompetent and blood-thirsty during World War II, won the war but fired said general, then watched helplessly as said general went rogue and tried to start a war with China. In a last-ditch diplomatic effort, Truman erased everything our soldiers had done in Korea and authorized the creation of the DMZ, thereby destroying any post-war economic benefit we might otherwise have gained. Every president and Congress since WWII has followed the precedent set by Truman and driven us deeper into debt while taxes and inflation continue to increase.

4. Paul Kuehn profile image94
    Paul Kuehnposted 5 years ago

Do you remember Herbert Hoover?  Wasn't he our President (1928-1932) when the big stock market crash hit which led directly into the Great Depression?  Hoover gets my vote.

working