Any suggestions for fun ways to teach math to an elementary school child?

1. Robie Benve profile image98
    Robie Benveposted 4 years ago

Any suggestions for fun ways to teach math to an elementary school child?

I'm looking for ideas to make subtractions, multiplications, and divisions fun to learn for a third grader. Any suggestions?

2. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Make your kitchen into a grocery store and let the child be the checker. Make the food in the pantry certain prices that will allow the child to add, subtract or whatever you choose.

You can return things to the "store" and he/she can subtract the price from the total bill and give you a refund. Use or make play money.

Or you can use the items in your closet for a clothing store (more for a girl I think) and do the same things. It is great fun.  The child is playing but learning.

Or if they have an ample bookshelf in their room, you can play bookstore or toy store with their toys - tons of possibility but all can be used to practice basic math skills.

3. Larry Fields profile image79
    Larry Fieldsposted 4 years ago

I recommend Mortenson Math. It's an offshoot of Montessori, and like Montessori, it emphasizes hands-on, visual learning. With the learning materials, kids can start in on basic algebra at the same time that they're mastering arithmetic. The basic metaphor is building a rectangle.

Caveats: You will need to spend some money on the kits. It's best to attend a weekend workshop first. And I have no idea what Mr Mortenson is doing these days. Good luck.

working