jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

If the sun dial was invented in the southern hemisphere, would clocks go anti-cl

1. lumen2light profile image61
    lumen2lightposted 4 years ago

If the sun dial was invented in the southern hemisphere, would clocks go anti-clockwise?

Do clocks go clockwise because of the sun dial?

Image from yardenvy.com

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7972112_f260.jpg

2. conradofontanilla profile image82
    conradofontanillaposted 4 years ago

The clock is an invention. I suspect that the inventor had his device rotating from left to right, or that he designed it to follow the movement of the sun. (That is with the convenient view that the sun is moving and the earth is fixed in position.) Whether the hands of the clock were moving left to right or right to left, the essential thing is the synchronization of the movement of the sun and the hands of the clock. And the shadows are calibrated into hours.
    Then the inventor chose to cater to the habit out of the sundial. It is easier to synchronize the movements of objects moving in the same direction.

3. cebutouristspot profile image75
    cebutouristspotposted 4 years ago

It is possible smile but Clocks with hands were first made in the Northern Hemisphere and  have became the norms of such smile

4. IDONO profile image82
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

This may be a stupid answer because I'm forgetting something, but what the heck. We're anonymous, right?
         Since time isn't based on magnetic pull and I don't believe the southern hemisphere rotates opposite the northern hemisphere, ( at least on my globe) it wouldn't make sense for a clock to rotate in the opposite direction. This isn't water down a drain or a typhoon. It's time, which only goes forward; unless it's Groundhogs Day.

1. lumen2light profile image61
      lumen2lightposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes time goes forward, the direction of the hands on a clock is irrelevant to the direction of time, but if you put a sundial in the southern hemisphere, the shadow would rotate anti clockwise, hence the question.

2. IDONO profile image82
      IDONOposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for getting me to find out why I was confused. I was assuming all sundials pointed true North. I didn't realize in the southern hemisphere, they point true South, which now , I wonder why. See what you did? LOL

working