jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

World's language in 2213 AD, or perhaps 2313 AD - what will it be?

1. Tusitala Tom profile image60
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

World's language in 2213 AD, or perhaps 2313 AD - what will it be?

It has been said that in the future everyone on this planet of ours will probably be speaking the same language.   I'm not referring to this metaphorically but as an actual spoken and written form of communication.   What, in your opinion, is the language which will eventually evolve the be the World's Language?

2. djdaniel150 profile image60
    djdaniel150posted 4 years ago

We will all be speaking chinese and eating rice pudding.

3. Amber Vyn profile image59
    Amber Vynposted 4 years ago

There's little doubt that it would be whatever English evolves in to. With 1/3 of the world's population using English as a second language, the center of gravity no longer rests with native speakers of English.

I am skeptical that it would happen so quickly - just 100 or 200 years into the future - but that's possible. Communication is a practical thing. People will communicate in the way that best serves their needs.

Even though I'm a language lover, I'm not sentimental about the loss of languages. Who knows how many have been lost across the millennium that we don't know about. The world is richer when a greater diversity of people can communicate.

Also, there will likely be people who still study and use their language of heritage. However, they won't be 'native speakers' in the true sense of the phrase.

4. Jordan Hake profile image88
    Jordan Hakeposted 4 years ago

Well, when The Doctor and I visited the UK in 2431, they still spoke English, but I never left Hold #34b for more than a night, so they might speak other languages elsewhere.