jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do doctors really listen to you if you are a senior?

1. baygirl33 profile image60
    baygirl33posted 4 years ago

Do doctors really listen to you if you are a senior?

I find that  many have a  "well what do you expect at your age" kind of attitude. e.g. I told my doctor I hurt too much after an hour in the pool,because this was not a new exercise,and my body should be used to it.
    All he said was"how many other 80-year old people spend an hour in the pool?
    I found that irrelevant and off putting,but he was gone before I could object.

2. qeyler profile image56
    qeylerposted 4 years ago

This is standard for most physicians.  They don't listen.  Doctor Shopping is the new 'sport'.   I am tired of people making assumptions about a person based on age alone. 

I actually met a doctor who makes House look like Mr. Congeniality...and he mused...
    "I have a 48 year old patient who is in worse shape than one who is 63...I can't really make age assumptions..."

Living fairly healthy, vegan, some exercise, normal or under weight, active...does have an effect on health...

What could have happened to you is that, without thinking, you might have been  in the wrong position, i.e. too much weight on one side, a bit turned to the other side, too abrupt movement,   for example, if you are bending over to touch your toes, you have to make sure that the weight is equal on both legs...sounds easy, but if you're favouring a leg....?

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

I don't think doctors listen to you no matter what you're age is. The revolution of doctors caring about their patients is slipping away, which is a true shame.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

If your physician treats you like that then it may be time for a new doctor.  I think you are quite correct to say his response was irrelevant and off-putting.  Whether an old complaint, or a new one, they need to listen to us because we know our bodies best. There are good physicians out there. I would start asking friends and family who they see.

5. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

I listen to my seniors, both as a person, and as an alternative health practitioner. My own mentor in the realm of physical health is Harold Koning. He is 77 years old, and still a martial arts master. Last year, he fell off a roof and was not injured at all, except for a bruised behind.

If your doctors are not helping you stay fit and active, find better mainstream or alternative care. And if people are not listening, keep living your own truth.

Doctors know very little about how to stay healthy as we age. Email me if you're interested in more. Use the email link (not the fanmail link) on my profile page, under the fanmail button.