jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think people can control their own destiny?

1. jabelufiroz profile image72
    jabelufirozposted 4 years ago

Do you think people can control their own destiny?

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

I think that people can guide their own destiny, and there are tried and true methods for doing this, for people willing to learn them. The core is this: "Sow a habit, reap a character. Sow a character, reap a destiny." Our daily choices become habits, then character, then destiny.

It requires constant, daily work. It requires commitment and open-mindedness and willingness to change how we think and what we do.

But when we choose this inner freedom, we can create a destiny. Our inner focus becomes more important than outer circumstances. This is how Viktor Frankl survived Auschwitz and the Holocaust, and went on to create Logotherapy, teaching people how to bring meaning into their lives.

There are many teachings on how to do this, some ancient, some modern. I write about a lot of them. One of the most accessible picks up on Viktor Frankl's work and makes it accessible in today's world. For more, see my hubs on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and other hubs on self-evaluation, personal success, and professional success.

1. SidKemp profile image94
      SidKempposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Jabelufiroz. Great question!

3. Lady_E profile image74
    Lady_Eposted 4 years ago

To an extent yes.

Example: Affirmations are very powerful and you eventually get what you say.

The mind-set is also very powerful. What you always think of will eventually be drawn to you - be that Negative or Positive.

Visualisation is also a powerful tool in helping you get a desired result.

There are books that I have read that have definitely helped steer me towards a good direction.

Prayer helps too.

4. ParadigmEnacted profile image72
    ParadigmEnactedposted 4 years ago

Yes. It's foolish to think that we are the only deciding factor in what transpires, but we all possess free-will and can influence outcomes and resist undesirable changes. All things exist in a manner of co-creation.

working