Why is Greek and Roman, Religion called mythology but Christian Mythology is cal

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (55 posts)
  1. vveasey profile image83
    vveaseyposted 5 years ago

Why is Greek and Roman, Religion called mythology but Christian Mythology is called religion?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7403017_f260.jpg

2. CMHypno profile image93
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

Because Christianity won! The victors always write history

vveaseyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

CMHypno
      Since I've extensively researched the history of Christianity and other religons. I'd have to agree with you

2. WalterPoon profile image78
      WalterPoonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well said, CMHypno. You look so young, yet you know this world too well!! I am 58 and I just learned that a few years ago. I don't know if it's good for you but I would rather live in fairyland, LOL.

3. Bizik Add profile image60
      Bizik Addposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The perfect answer....I couldn't agree more

4. profile image50
      AmyLeigh23posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Christianity only won because they made other religions look bad and they basically slaughtered anyone who did not believe the same as they did. Christians are the Dialeks of Doctor Who, exterminating anyone who is different from them.

5. bethperry profile image91
      bethperryposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Exactly.

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I'm sorry you consider the Christian religion as mythology. But I do so love the myths of past cultures. They are interesting to study!

lburmaster
      People being raised from the dead, supernaturals being (angels) God (Gods) in other religions are said to be mythological. are you saying you believe they are actually real in Christian stories?

2. lburmaster profile image82
      lburmasterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe most of the Bible. I believe in the stories from the people who have died for two minutes then come back with stories of heaven and hell.

3. vveasey profile image83

Ok
      so why are you sorry I view the Christian stories as mythology?

4. lburmaster profile image82

Because they are a piece of history and not classified as mythology.

5. jlpark profile image82
      jlparkposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So if that is the case - why are the Greek religions considered mythology - they are historically relevant too.

6. lburmaster profile image82

The Greeks and Romans fell. The Pope became the higher power. He even commanded his knights to attack the east when there was peace because he felt threatened by their religion and felt he would lose power if they came to close.

7. jlpark profile image82

The original question was why is Christian mythology a religion, but Greek/Roman religion considered mythology - just because they fell doesn't make them less of a religion. What happens when/if Christianity falls - myth then?? (respectfully asked)

8. lburmaster profile image82

Yes. When there is lack of evidence or the theory is outdated, it turns into a myth.

9. jlpark profile image82

Iburmaster - thanks for your answer to that!. I do like your original answer - I agree re interesting, though I find religions interesting as well

4. Caesarr profile image60
    Caesarrposted 5 years ago

its based on theories, christianity is based on theorems

Caesarr
      interesting, please explain the differences between theories and theorems and what difference it makes to whether a religion is said to be mythological or a religion, whose stories are presumed to be real

2. Caesarr profile image60
      Caesarrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

A religious theory is a mythology because it does not have an absolute truth of existence whereas a religious theorem is a religion bacause there is proof and some historical and realistic evidence to support this proof e.g. for christianity which is

5. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 5 years ago

I tried hard to think of one but I just can't come up with someone writing a purported truthful first hand account of any Roman or Greek God. There were great writers of the times and dynasties and books like Homer's are wonderful along with Tiberius' writing, certainly The Republic. But I just can't remember and account of someone claiming to sleep with the God Mars.
    Perhaps there was a guy named Hercules, but probably not, because I have never read a quote of his or a first hand account of the stables.
    Can Hearsay change the value and validity of what we are told? Most definitely is the answer. Just like a husband and wife returning from a cruise and telling different stories of what they saw -- Mathew, John and Mark tell perfect first hand accounts from their perspective. Just enough difference to make them credible. Whereas I find no such remarkable "proof" of this in what we call mythology.

However with that said: I really do not take any offense in the notion of Christian Mythology. For instance, the story of the Prodigal Son or the Servants of the Vinedresser. We like to call them parables and metaphors but really they are kind of myths to get a point across.
    Do you ever wonder where the term "down to earth" really started. Probably Zeus but perfected by Christ.
    Many a man has been convicted both rightly and wrongly by proof of an "eye witness" and more often by two or more. Vagaries are common as we all have different priorities of perspective. But there is no New Testament of the Roman and Greek Gods. They apparently never really blessed us by coming around and being "a slob like one us" as the singer sings.

Now those are some differences. And my search for Roman and Greek New Testaments is not exhaustive, so you could steer me straight on that. "Testament" is a cool word. Testimony, makes a big difference in life and thought and understanding.
    Weasy what is your testimony on this?

Let's see...because something is called a "testament" that means it's true?

2. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very cute Weasey --- If something IS a Testament, that means someone says it is true. A word game on it is silly.

Eric
      it's not a word game it's a question
      You seem to be arguing that because there are Christian testaments but you can't find Roman or Greek testaments that make them mythological is that what you're saying?

4. Ericdierker profile image44

Yes that is true and an obvious glaring reality. No first hand accounts of Roman or Greek Gods. Even during a time of great writers and philosophers. Even during "golden ages" there are no testaments. Ain't no one swearing the truth to Zeus.

5. vveasey profile image83

In ancient times in Greece people did swear by Zeus, as in "I swear by Zeus" I will get it done! Same as I swear by God I will get it
      done!  You say God they say Zeus.

6. Ericdierker profile image44

Weasey that is not at all the same. A pledge of allegiance is not a testament to a witness. You are smart, you know the difference. Weasey the foundation of Christianity is foundationally different than Roman and Greek myths. Name one eye witness.

7. vveasey profile image83

Eric you said "Ain't no one swearing the truth to Zeus". When I tell you that people did You say "A pledge of allegiance is not a testament to a witness." You can't have it both ways. Believers were swearing by what they believed in, as you do

8. Ericdierker profile image44

I think you see the difference. Swearing that you had dinner with someone is different than swearing an allegiance to a belief that someone exists. Do you have testimony from someone that they met Zeus? We do with Christ.

9. vveasey profile image83

Eric You take it on faith that there were eyewitnesses. There is no historical proof that those who wrote the gospels were eyewitnesses

10. Ericdierker profile image44

anyone is free to call another a liar. Anyone is also free and justified to believe in the truth of the testimony of another. I acknowledge your position that the New Testament is a book filled with liars upon liars.  But it does answer your question

11. vveasey profile image83

Eric
      for me it's not about calling anyone a liar. It's about getting at the historical truth/facts. But I think you said on one  of my hubs you;re in love with love not facts/truth. I look for truth and facts that's why we differ

6. suzettenaples profile image89
    suzettenaplesposted 5 years ago

Well, I guess the only answer I have is that Christianity is a religion based on real or live people - people who really did live back in 33 AD.  Greek and Roman mythology is based on fictional gods.  They did not really live.  Maybe the people who believed in them thought they were real, but in historical terms they were never real people.  Christianity, whether you believe it to be a religion or not, is based on people who really did live.  Jesus Christ was a real person and lived here on earth, whether you happen to believe he is the son of God or not.  Even the Jewish religion recognizes him as a person, they just don't believe he is the Messiah.

The Christian religion is based on Jesus Christ's teachings and since he is a real person who lived, what he taught is considered a religion and not mythology.   His teachings are based on a true lifestyle and philosophy of a true living person, where the Greek and Roman Gods never lived or walked the earth.

What historical evidence proves Jesus lived?
      If it's the four gospels. They are the only place in the historical record that Jesus of Nazareth exists. There's historical research that show the town of Nazareth didn't exist during that time

2. suzettenaples profile image89
      suzettenaplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Bethlehem did exist then, so did Mt. Sinai from whence came the Sermon on the Mt.  There are many historical places in the middle east that existed during Christ's time.  Why do you ask these questions and then argue?

Here's the difference. If I my view differs for yours You call it arguing. I call it a discussion

4. WalterPoon profile image78
      WalterPoonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Christianity is a religion based on real people? Sounds to me more like Christianity is a mythology based on real people. No one has ever proven beyond doubt that Jesus was God Incarnate, like what they said of Lord Krishna. Both are mythologies.

5. residentstone profile image57
      residentstoneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

None!, The catholic church is nothing more than a multibillion dollar corporation, built on lies and greed, like every other multibillion dollar corp!

6. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Just because the catholic church is a power hungry, money mad, self serving pile of rotten apples doesn't mean Jesus never existed.

7. vveasey profile image83
    vveaseyposted 5 years ago

Caesarr
    This is the definition of theorem from dictionary.com
    1. Mathematics . a theoretical proposition, statement, or formula embodying something to be proved from other propositions or formulas.
    2. a rule or law, especially one expressed by an equation or formula.
    3. Logic. a proposition that can be deduced from the premises or assumptions of a system.
    4. an idea, belief, method, or statement generally accepted as true or worthwhile without proof.
    None of these definitions say that a theorem is something that’s true or has “absolute truth of existence”. But It may be theoretically true, that’s why it’s called a theorem.
    A theorem is a statement that can be logically deduced from a premise whether It’s true or not. You may deduce that what you believe to be true is true, but that doesn’t mean that it’s true. It may make sense to you but that doesn’t mean it’s true.

1. Caesarr profile image60
      Caesarrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

i will have to say that christianity is a belief, when we add faith and acceptance to it, becomes a religion

otherwise myths are just a way of empowering culture, bringing a sense of belonging and loyalty to those believing in it

2. vveasey profile image83

Good points Caesarr I agree that "otherwise myths are just a way of empowering culture, bringing a sense of belonging and loyalty to those believing in it" This also applies to Christianity

8. jlpark profile image82
    jlparkposted 5 years ago

Given that religion of any sort is basically a set of tenets to live one's life by, and a way to explain the apparently unexplainable (or at least it was at the time), which is much like what myths and legends are as well - there is little difference.

I don't mean offence by this, though I acknowledge that it could be seen that way, but what I mean is that Myths and Legends and religions have many similarities - and to one person another's religion may seem to be more of a mythology based thing, but their own religion may not seem that way.  So, their's seems more 'real' than someone elses, and they find it offensive that others may suggest theirs is merely mythology (yet they are just doing the same).

Basically what I'm saying is that no one has the right to write off the religions of another as mythology.

Well said
      especially when their religions are based on belief and no amount of opposing facts or contradictions in their religion will make a dent in their minds

9. Thesource profile image77
    Thesourceposted 5 years ago

Most don't realize mythology is a great learning tool. Even Jesus used it.
    The heart of Jesus teaching based on myths. Today we teach student greats lesson through virtual reality.

Jesus used myths, sometimes known as parables. The Good Shepard, the Good Samaritan, the Prodigal son, the vineyard and many more to explain real concepts that exist in the universe.

The Hindus use mythical pictures to depict the power of God. For examples God is shown with many faces and hands. This illustrates that fact that God can do many things at the same time and sees everything in every direction. Sure it is a myth that God looks like that, however now even an illiterate can understand God's capability through such myths.

10. Greekgeek profile image91
    Greekgeekposted 5 years ago

"Mythology is what we call someone else's religion." - Joseph Campbell

Good reading:
    http://emergent-culture.com/demystifyin … free-pt-1/

11. kingofthisage profile image56
    kingofthisageposted 5 years ago

Many mythologies focus on explanations of the universe, natural phenomena, or other themes of human existence, often ascribing agency to one or more deities or other supernatural forces. However, some religions have very few of this kind of story of cosmic explanation. For instance, the Buddhist parable of the arrow warns against such speculations as "[Is] the world eternal or not eternal? [Is] the soul different from the body? [Does] the enlightened exist after death or not?", viewing them as irrelevant to the goal of escaping suffering. Also, religion has a morality and myth doesn't.
    Mythology is a religion of people that passed away, and Christianity is a religion of live present-day people.

12. CrescentSkies profile image88
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

I call both mythology. Used to do it to piss people I didn't like off but eventually kept doing it because technically it is an accurate terminology.
    my·thol·o·gy 
    /məˈTHäləjē/
    Noun
    A collection of myths, esp. one belonging to a particular religious or cultural tradition.
    A set of stories or beliefs about a particular person, institution, or situation, esp. when exaggerated or fictitious.

I agree, and of course those who takes these fabulous, supernatural tales to be accounts of real people will scream bloody murder at your recitation of the facts.
      So why is Christian mythology called religion?

2. CrescentSkies profile image88
      CrescentSkiesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Because it is the current mythology just as roman mythology was called religion in rome's days of power.

13. Borsia profile image42
    Borsiaposted 5 years ago

It is entirely a matter of who is doing the "calling" none is any more rational or real than another.
    They are all fictional beings brewed up by mortal men.
    Buddhism, on the other hand, is based on a real flesh & blood man who was simply considered extremely wise but had no godly powers.

14. whitacre1880 profile image60
    whitacre1880posted 5 years ago

It's all mythology.... every single religion. There is only supposed to be one God, yet there are several religions out there that have multiple gods or worship a different god than others.

Many people do not want to believe in a God who demands righteousness and morality, so they invent a God who makes no such requirements. Many people do not want to believe in a God who declares it impossible for people to earn their own way to heaven. So they invent a God who accepts people into heaven if they have completed certain steps, followed certain rules, and/or obeyed certain laws, at least to the best of their ability. Many people do not want a relationship with a God who is sovereign and omnipotent. So they imagine God as being more of a mystical force than a personal and sovereign ruler.

The existence of so many religions is not an argument against God's existence or an argument that truth about God is not clear. Rather, the existence of so many religions is demonstration of humanity's rejection of the one true God. Mankind has replaced Him with gods that are more to their liking.

15. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

vveasey, I think it is a matter of choosing to be respectful, which perhaps those that do this were not taught growing up. I think also that the temptation to dismiss other religions is greater if the other religion in question is more ancient than one's own or if the religion is a minority. Tolerance excludes such behavior, but then again tolerance has to be embraced.

16. EWMcGrath profile image60
    EWMcGrathposted 3 years ago

This is a great question!   The answer, however, is from a perspective of a social science teacher, so please bear with me.   

From an instructional perspective, the Classical Era--Greece and Rome--were in BCE (Before Common Era).   Their religious beliefs were polytheistic, meaning many.   The Greeks celebrated and worship gods that illustrated monotheistic creations.  The stories associated with Greek and Roman gods are considered "myths," tales of gigantic proportions. 

Once Rome became a Republic, the influence of Christianity took place of mythology and Rome, the Republic marked the era of the Common Era.   Once Constantine later conquered Asia Minor (Turkey and parts of Southwest Asia),embraced Christianity and made it the official religion of Rome.   That was between 450-500.   

Side note:  Orthodox Christianity, which is practiced in Eastern Europe, is partly due to Constantinian influence in the region.   It was a different belief system within Christianity early as 700, 800 CE, way before the Reformation in the 16th Century.

17. escole61 profile image60
    escole61posted 12 months ago

Before Romans adopted Christianity, their mythology was a religion. The same can be said of the Greeks. One day people might speak of Christianity as mythology too. I think it is the time we live in. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)