jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Because of the Zimmerman verdict do you think Black Males will be on more alert?

1. mosaicman profile image80
    mosaicmanposted 4 years ago

Because of the Zimmerman verdict do you think Black Males will be on more alert?

Will Black youth feel that the law system will not protect them? How will they feel while being approached in the street by unknown  adults? Will they be more aggressive as a means of protecting themselves?

2. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 4 years ago

How can you be "more aggressive" as a means of protecting yourself while walking down the street? Turn around and attack your follower? How about running away? Come on, really...The evidence was weighed and found to be in GZ's favor. Engaging in more street violence and demanding an "emotional justice" will not be beneficial to anyone.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

More aggressive is definitely not the answer. This will not solve anything. Nothing will become of this media circus. It does not tell anyone they will be allowed to hunt down black males and shoot them. I don't think the murders of ex wives escalated after OJ was found not guilty.

4. Alphadogg16 profile image92
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

I don't think being "more aggressive" is the answer, I would like to think this was an isolated incident. However, aren't there laws against being a vigilante? Which is basically what GZ did? Why didn't he call the police on the suspected criminal? At the very least he should have been charged with manslaughter. A kid, that he followed by his own choice (taking the law into his own hands) lost his life. There was another case in Florida where a woman got 20 years for firing warning shots at her abusive husband who she had a protective order against. 20 years for WARNING SHOTS!! No prior criminal history. But GZ can turn vigilante and take someone's life and walk away?

1. Sophia-LeAnne profile image62
      Sophia-LeAnneposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there are vigilante laws, and he did call the police and they instructed him not to approach the "suspect".  Because he failed to follow instructions, a mother and father had to bury their child.

working