jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

What is one fact that you know is true that supports Evolution?

1. Bruce Feierabend profile image82
    Bruce Feierabendposted 4 years ago

What is one fact that you know is true that supports Evolution?

I recently read this quote ‘… One morning I woke up … and it struck me that I had been working on this stuff [evolution] for twenty years, and there was not one thing I knew about it.’ by Dr Colin Patterson, who was at the time the senior paleontologist at the  British Museum of Natural History. I had already pondered that all I knew about evolution was taught to me but not one "fact" was ever proven to my recollection. Anyone have a better experience the me and the doctor?

2. Dantex460 profile image60
    Dantex460posted 4 years ago

Evolution is considered fact by scientists.

The evidence came from archaeologists digging up the same species of animal from different time periods and seeing a very gradual change that made them adapt to where they live. This same change can be seen using DNA analysis from our distant ancestors who branched of into ape or monkeys which matches ours.

It works by inheriting traits from your parents the same way you do build or hair colour. But only the traits that have helped you survive will get passed to offspring, whereas if the same species but different traits were more unlucky say they had slightly smaller legs so they could not run away from predators faster they would be killed and not of had any offspring to pass these slightly smaller legs to.

So over millions of years of breeding good survival traits will be spread throughout the species.

Bruce Feierabendposted 4 years agoin reply to this

First evolution is not considered fact by all scientists but maybe most, but when you say considered what does that mean. I was looking more for the word proven. DNA that "matches" ours? Please give an example that you know is true.

3. calynbana profile image82
    calynbanaposted 4 years ago

Look at your profile pic. How did that precious pup come about existing?

He is a gift. smile

4. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 4 years ago

There are no solid facts. The major theories of evolution do not stand upon examination.

5. HeadlyvonNoggin profile image86
    HeadlyvonNogginposted 4 years ago

During the past few decades, many strains of bacteria have evolved resistance to antibiotics. An example of this is Neisseria gonorrhoeae, the bacteria that causes gonorrhea. In the 1960s penicillin and ampicillin were able to control most cases of gonorrhea. Today, more than 24 percent of gonorrheal bacteria in the U.S. are resistant to at least one antibiotic, and 98 percent of gonorrheal bacteria in Southeast Asia are resistant to penicillin. Infectious bacteria are much harder to control than their predecessors were ten or twenty years ago.
    http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/r … tics.shtml

Yet it's still gonorrheal bacteria. How do you know that this demonstrates evolving from one species to another.

2. HeadlyvonNoggin profile image86
      HeadlyvonNogginposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that was the question. The existence of proto-mammals (synapsid reptiles that have both reptilian and mammalian characteristics) in the fossil record just before the first mammals is a fact that supports macro-evolution.

3. Bruce Feierabend profile image82

Good response  that made me ponder, but for me it supports more the theory then towards proving it. Questions for me are evidence that these species evolved from something or to something else, absence of most transitional fossils, and others.

6. Bruce Feierabend profile image82
    Bruce Feierabendposted 4 years ago

Perhaps it would help to clarify if I had said one thing you know to be true that supports Evolution as a fact as oppose to just a theory. I am coming from the belief that most people treat Evolution as a fact and not a theory but question what people really know to support that.
    I guess I'm curious as to how many people would admit that they really don't know even one fact to support Evolution. It's my contention that most people believe in Evolution based on indoctrination rather then any scientific knowledge and I wonder if it isn't just most people but all.
    A side note, this is the first time I have not been very limited with the number of characters I can use. I apologize if the question or any of my comments have been unclear as I was forced to squeeze even my original question into a very short paragraph. Though it was a good exercise in being concise.

working