Is America Racist?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. kthierry76 profile image60
    kthierry76posted 5 years ago

Is America Racist?

This question is not in regards to America Vs. other countries.  It relates to what we deal with within our own State.  Are we a bunch of Racist people?  If so, how did we get this way?  If not why does it seem that way?

2. Ashleign profile image91
    Ashleignposted 5 years ago

You know, I have given this question a lot of thought over the past few days. I am even writing a new hub titled "A proposal for the races." It's a proposal to end Racism once and for all.

The short answer is yes, America is Racist. While the long answer is "kind of."

Not everyone is racist, though most do have racial tendencies. I have the idea that we can end racism by simply ending discussions about it. Unfortunately, the media, will not allow that to happen. America loves drama. The media sells the drama to the American People.

Myself. I have racial tendencies, however, I am not racist. Would I feel more comfortable among a group of white teenagers or a group of black teenagers? Most likely I would be more comfortable with the group of white teenagers. This doesn't make me a racist, but it makes me have a racial tendency. I have more in common culturally with the white teenagers, than I would with the black. However, I do find myself curious about all cultures. I constantly try to learn about myself and how I can introduce myself with new cultures. Learn their war, learn their struggles.

Maybe if I am able to learn all about a group of people, I would feel more comfortable in a group of them.

I had the pleasure of experiencing a hip-hop concert, when I was younger. It was frightening. It wasn't because of the music, it was because of the crowd. The crowd acted a lot differently at that concert, than one at a let's say, KC and the sunshine band concert. It seemed more violent than anything. I believe the Hip-Hop Concert was 3-6 Mafia, if I am not mistaken.

Years later, I attended a Blink 182 concert. This is when I was introduced to the "mosh pit" mentality. It was seemingly more violent than the previous hip-hop concert.

I felt comfortable in neither concert.

So is America Racist? Yes, to a degree it is.
    When we stop labeling ourselves as black or white, only then, will we make progress.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Everyone hates someone and those who say they don't are either lying to themselves, others, or are ignorant to their own thoughts. Some are racist, some are homophobic, some are sexist, and some are just racist when it comes to biracial or interracial issues. We are human and for as long as we have a brain we will hate that which doesn't fit into our own personal opinions and beliefs.

4. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 5 years ago

If you diligently follow major entertainment networks like CNN, MSNBC, CBS, etc...then your opinion would tend to be yes. If you just mind your own business and go through your day being a decent human being and interacting with the community, then you would probably have to say no.

Racism is greatly blown out of proportion by the media.

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Curious what section of the country you live in?

5. johnsonrallen profile image92
    johnsonrallenposted 5 years ago

This isn't just an American problem but a worldwide problem- thus a HUMAN problem. I've lived in three countries aside from the U.S. and there was more extreme racism in them than the U.S. While the U.S. is not as racist as it was 100 years ago or 50 years ago (we elected a black president, after all), there is still pronounced racism among different cities and neighborhoods nationwide.

However...

Unlike other nations that will openly discriminate against you based on your skin color or tone, we as a nation are mostly decent enough to realize when discrimination is staring us in the face. Still a lot of work to be done though.

1. Ashleign profile image91
      Ashleignposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So racism is just against blacks right? It doesn't work the other way around?

2. johnsonrallen profile image92
      johnsonrallenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, no, sorry if my comments were interpreted that way. Racism is racism, no matter the color of the one who is doing the discriminating.

3. Ashleign profile image91
      Ashleignposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"While the U.S. is not as racist as it was 100 years ago or 50 years ago"

Kinda threw me for a loop.

4. johnsonrallen profile image92
      johnsonrallenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What I meant to state was America has taken steps over the last century, with our first black president and, for example, the acceptance of interracial marriages. It still exists but not as severe as in the past. Thanks!

6. Borsia profile image45
    Borsiaposted 5 years ago

I believe that we are all racist in some way to some extent regardless of how hard we might try not to be.
    Every person is the sum of their life experience and we've all had bad experiences and good ones with people of other races.
    As I grew up I had far more bad experiences with black people, mostly due to bussing and riots in my high school, and very few with Hispanics. I was married, though briefly, to a Chinese woman and now live with my Philippine GF and one of my closest school friends was Japanese so all good experiences with Asians.
    As a result I am very reserved with my regards toward blacks. I don't hate them or even dislike them. When I meet them I treat them as I would anyone else and I've had a number of black friends over the years. But in the back of my mind I can still see 8 blacks jumping and mugging a white kid in a wheelchair just because he was white and couldn't get away from them. I can't erase that memory or deny it.
    I would love to say I'm not racist but it wouldn't be completely true.

7. arksys profile image89
    arksysposted 5 years ago

I talked to an Irish neighbor while i was in chicago and it was quite shocking to hear that he had felt the racism against him more in the west of america. the east was more welcoming. so i guess it's not just about the colour of your skin ... its deeper than that.

i will have to agree and disagree with johnsanrallen ... i have been in discrimination kind of circumstances and the worst kind is when its hidden. It totally knocks you off your balance when the truth comes out. Its much easier for the discriminated person to know that they are not welcome. that works better for me ... maybe different for other people.

i agree that's its not just in america ... its everywhere ... including your home countries... if not the colour of your skin then its your caste ... if not your caste then something else ... as the others have mentioned its hard wired in people ... 

Finally one suggestion for Ashleign's hub on this topic... what i have noticed is that it is mostly people who have not travelled much in their life who end up being so close minded about issues like this ... people need to travel more, they need to see other cultures and understand them better ... everyone resists change ... its natural human behavior ... the more they know about the people they meet the less hostile they will become. so either accurate education or travel.

8. jcressler profile image81
    jcresslerposted 5 years ago

Of course it is...and has been since the very beginning. Our forefathers brought all the racism they could stand from the old countries in Europe and Africa, learned a few new thoughts on race from the American Indian Nations and bam - it's no wonder there was a civil war by the 1860's.
    Actually, I think we're much less racial today than we were 20 years ago but we probably have another 250 years before we racial blindness.

9. Jay Max Juster profile image76
    Jay Max Justerposted 5 years ago

I don't think America, as a whole or government, is racist in the sense that America's laws and policies don't inherently discredit people or assume they can't do something simply based on the color of their skin.

At least, not anymore... Remember when African-Americans were slaves? Or when they were considered only 3/5 of a person?

Or when women were property? How about women's suffrage? They are FINALLY allowed to vote.

America is slowly maturing away from that racist/sexist mindset, but there is still a long way to go.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)