jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

To those who grew up in small and very small families (1-2 children per househol

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

To those who grew up in small and very small families (1-2 children per household), what were

the 10 stereotypical misconceptions and misperceptions that people from large and very large families (6 and more children per household) had/have about children from small families?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8289857_f260.jpg

2. Laura Schneider profile image92
    Laura Schneiderposted 4 years ago

This isn't quite the answer you were looking for, but...

The only ones that I've been asked about (having only one sibling) by someone from a large family (4+ siblings) is, "Weren't you lonely?" and "What if you didn't get along with your sibling and had nobody else to play with/talk to?" My answers were, no, I wasn't lonely having only one (totally awesome and brilliant) sibling--we had a lot of fun and got lots of attention from our parents and lots of freedom and opportunities to build trust with each other and our parents. We watched out for each other and always had a playmate as kids. On the occasion that my sibling and I quarreled, the argument generally passed quickly--within minutes or hours (with some notable exceptions). Basically, I was--and still am--happy having only one sibling, knowing no other household situation first-hand.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer indeed!Those from large families will NEVER  understand  small family life! Total waste of time to telll them, it's totally pointless. People from large families feel that EVERYONE should be from a large family, that's THEIR "logic".

2. Laura Schneider profile image92
      Laura Schneiderposted 4 years agoin reply to this

:-) gmwilliams, you're absolutely right! What's "funny", also, is that my mother and sibling-in-law were only children and they can't comprehend the dynamics between me and my sibling half the time any better than can my father, from a large family!

3. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have found people from large families to feel that those from small families DON'T have "authentic" familly lives.They can freely criticize small families. But if someone criticizes the large family dynamic, they go into ATTACK mode!

working