jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

What makes those from large and very large families believe that those from smal

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What makes those from large and very large families believe that those from small families

do not have a loving and emotional support system of people who care and love them?

Many people in large and very large families tend to believe that those from small families have NO ONE close to them They further assert that children from small families do not have a viable network. Well, children from small families have viable networks from their parents,friends,cousins,relatives,and other associates.There are chlldren in large families WHO ARE ALONE although they have brothers, sisters, and parents.They are LEFT TO THEIR OWN DEVICES.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8289978_f260.jpg

2. Kiss andTales profile image79
    Kiss andTalesposted 4 years ago

You are correct again in some cases, But from experiencing both sides every home is different ,yes you can be lonely and have many surround you , but that can happen either way it all depends on people in general, like the thought that all men are bad because you know many cases of abuse is false, yet there are many good, God loving men out there that prove that wrong. this reminds me of a motivational speaker Les Brown ,he said never let some one's opinion of you ,be your reality. We have the power to start and finish successful if you believe in yourself. And always look for the positive in others if they allow you

1. Kiss andTales profile image79
      Kiss andTalesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I love the pictures you use to express your thoughts! I know that my answers are not common, but that is what my experience has been.

2. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I was an only child and was NEVER LONELY.  People were always around either extended family or friends. I had LOVE all around. My relatives often want me to write and keep in contact. My second cousin calls me all the time. When alone, never lonely!

3. Kiss andTales profile image79

I do understand I was a only child in my mothers house old my brother was raised by his father in another marriage. So I did not still have the best of things but I sure learned a lot of lessons and chores.

4. gmwilliams profile image86

Defintely, being an only child teaches one self-reliance, independence, and imagination early on.  You learn to stand on your own feet and not rely upon others like those w/siblings habitually do.  You also learn to value solitude.

5. Kiss andTales profile image79

You said it all I did learn solitude ,and having a big family showed me the difference.Yea I did have to do many thing on my own ,like wash dishes in a chair when I was too little to reach.! I wrote a poem about that experience I will send it to you!

3. CraftytotheCore profile image81
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

I am on both sides of the coin.  My mother left with my sister when I was a young child.  My grandparents raised me after their 7 adult children were grown and out of the home.  So technically, I was an only child in a large family.

I became very independent and resourceful at an early age.  (I had no siblings to play with so I used to cut food out of grocery sale flyers and use that to create a backdrop for my Barbie scenes.)  Even today, raising my own two children, there have been people who think just because I was a single mother for a while that I did not have a "support" system.

In fact, my son's therapist referred us to a charity that helps families who have no support system.  The charity closed their file early on when they started "learning" things from ME!  So, my opinion is that everyone is unique and individual.  I know a lot of large families that are totally disconnected from one another.  I know small families that are always together.

1. gmwilliams profile image86

THANK YOU.  In large families, NOT everyone is close, there will be siblings that one has more of a connection to than others. My mother was only close to two siblings out of ten. I, as an only child, am very close to my friends and cousins-ALL!

working