jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

To all only children out there, what were the most inane, insipid, and utterly s

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

To all only children out there, what were the most inane, insipid, and utterly stupid remarks

someone has made regarding your only child status?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8167215_f260.jpg

2. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

I have a half-sister but we never lived together because my mother moved away with her.  So, I was raised by my grandparents after their other 7 children were grown.  I was raised an only child.  The stupidest remark anyone ever said to me that still haunts me to this day was that, "I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth".

gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Such inane assumption indeed. Many people w/siblings, esp. large families, are jealous of the attention we onlies received & the advantages we have over them. We have more opportunities than they'll ever have so let us leave it at that!

3. phoenix2327 profile image83
    phoenix2327posted 4 years ago

The most irritating thing is how people assume I must have been 'spoiled' with all the attention I got.  My father rarely home and when he was, he spent all his time watching TV;  So no attention there.  My mother was abusive towards me so too much attention there; the wrong kind.

And while I can understand why people would make this assumption, I get frustrated when I explain it wasn't the case with me and they refuse to believe it.  They insist I had it good.

gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear this.

working