jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What makes THE DARK either physically or psychologically so demonized and stigma

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What makes THE DARK either physically or psychologically so demonized and stigmatized in this

society?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8369897_f260.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I don't know, call me strange, but I love the dark.  I find it comforting and calming. Nothing is more serene to me than going far away from any lights at all and looking up at the night sky - out in the open, in nature, in the dark.

I think we are programmed to associate the dark with things that are hidden - and the hidden of course is the same as the "unknown" which everyone probably fears a little to some degree or another. It's that whole not being able to see something unknown approaching you idea perhaps.

gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ditto, ChristinS.  I,too, LOVE the dark, I find it mysteriously soothing to say the least.

3. Nell Rose profile image92
    Nell Roseposted 4 years ago

With all the literature and films showing the dark being a spooky place i believe that its got into our psychi and made us more fearful. And of course in a practical way more bad people are out on the streets at night, therefore its easy to be scared both ways.

Exactty, the dark can be quite ominous.  The dark symbolizes what is undercover and what is not present in the light. The dark also symbolizes the bad and corrupt.  Good analysis.

4. mintinfo profile image76
    mintinfoposted 4 years ago

Great question gmwilliams. Humans are creatures of Light so Darkness scares us. We associate darkness with the unknown but the universe is 99% dark matter. The mind and reality are mortal enemies. What do I mean? Things do not suddenly come into existence when we discover them. They are always there and it is only when we get our minds around them that we let down our defenses.

Did a hub on this very same subject, please check it out.

working