jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

The cockroach theory of panic.

1. desaiamarjeet profile image59
    desaiamarjeetposted 4 years ago

The cockroach theory of panic.

How often or when do you panic and what do you do to tackle it? Have you ever re-thought about the situation once it has been settled. I found it funny, most often.
    Do you re-call the most funny (panic) situation?

2. DreamerMeg profile image91
    DreamerMegposted 4 years ago

That was an interesting story. I looked up the cockroach theory of panic and found that it differentiated "reaction" from "response", with "reaction" being a better form of action in these circumstances. I think that if you "panic", then you can only "react". The "response" can come only from someone who doesn't "panic".  I actually saw this happen many years ago. We lived in a terraced house in a village and next door was a cafe with a cockroach problem. The cockroaches used to squeeze through the walls and into our house and one day, my mother put on her cardigan and was informed that there was a cockroach on her back! It had been on the cardigan before she put it on. I never saw anyone dance so fast, turning round and trying to look at her own back to make sure it wasn't crawling up towards her hair! I got a shoe to knock it off but had to yell at her to stand still before it could be disposed of!

I actually like most animals but for many years had a dislike of cockroaches, probably from this. It took quite some time before I could look at a cockroach in a microscope and admire its form. And did you know that they can squeeze themselves as thin as a sheet of paper to crawl into tiny spaces? They are quite amazing - but I still don't want to share my house with them. smile

1. desaiamarjeet profile image59
      desaiamarjeetposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Quite a interesting event which I enjoyed reading it, though sorry for your home, LOL. My wife screams to the top of her voice and sometimes I think that the coackroach would also be screaming at that time. Saying,"Easy, I just came to say Hello."

3. desaiamarjeet profile image59
    desaiamarjeetposted 4 years ago

Never the less I mean to say is, there might be a situation where you would have gone paniced, say for days, and when you calm down you realised how funny the situation was and the funniest reaction that you gave to it or would be sorry for.

working