jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Does anyone have a child with a GIEP? If so, how did you get it and is your chil

1. HeatherH104 profile image84
    HeatherH104posted 4 years ago

Does anyone have a child with a GIEP? If so, how did you get it and is your child being challenged?

2. DreamerMeg profile image91
    DreamerMegposted 4 years ago

I suppose it depends where you are in the world. Your best bet is probably to contact your local MENSA club. I think this is worldwide and is for people with a high IQ. There is an international version of Mensa. Some of those people may have or know of Gifted children. I believe some Mensa clubs may also hold extra curricular activities for Gifted children and some of the members may know how you can access a Gifted child program in your particular area.

HeatherH104posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you DreamerMeg I hadn't thought of Mensa. He's only in kindergarten but it doesn't hurt to see if something like that is available.

3. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

My son has Autism as you know.  He was tested and his IQ was off the charts. 
    My situation is probably totally different than yours.  The school almost couldn't offer him special needs services because his IQ was so high.  He tested 19 points higher in one area than the average.

There were a lot of forms.  Tedious meetings.  I went straight to the Board of Ed.  But I had diagnosis in place before I did so.  They come to the table with a budget.  They don't like doing it unless they have to just to let you know! LOL

However, here at the public schools, they have started something new and I love it.  They have individual groups.  There's no more putting a child in a class with 30 others and having them do the same thing.  If the child is ahead, he goes in to a group with the advanced.  If the child is behind, he goes in to a group with the children who are behind.  It works out really well. I think it's a great balance from what I have observed.

The other thing is if the school won't help, here we have advocates in our state that advocate for the child.  I don't know what your state offers.  At one point, we were looking into getting a professional, private, opinion, and they only take cases referred to by the school, so that turned out to go nowhere.

HeatherH104posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Crafty- I wish we lived closer and were able to chat about this, I have a lot of questions for you. I'm getting fed up with my sons school (we pay a lot for) and was looking into public school gifted options. He's in K and said no gifted until grade2

working