jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Do you know your Myers-Briggs personality type and do you think it is accurate?

1. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Do you know your Myers-Briggs personality type and do you think it is accurate?

Do you know your personality type and does it accurately depict you? I have done a few different tests and they all come up INFP which, from what I have read, describes me quite accurately.  Are these tests accurate or not?

2. junkseller profile image87
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

INTP according to one test. This one was kind of interesting because it showed the percentages:

Introverted (I) 72.73% Extroverted (E) 27.27%
    Intuitive (N) 61.29% Sensing (S) 38.71%
    Thinking (T) 58.62% Feeling (F) 41.38%
    Perceiving (P) 53.13% Judging (J) 46.88%

My first three categories seem pretty firm but that last one is close. I've taken it before and it has put me as an INTJ, which I think is actually a bit more accurate.

These tests are kind of interesting and fun to talk about but they are a bit limited. Squishing 3-Dimensional personalities down to 2-Dimensional matrices will only have so much utility. Of course, being an INTJ you already knew I was going to say that. Ha!

I guess it is somewhat accurate. Where I think it breaks down for me is how I am with close friends versus the general world. To the general world I may be an INTJ but with a close friend I am very different. That's probably true of a lot of people, I suppose.

Also around kids. I love kids, and I wouldn't be surprised if around kids I flip to the polar opposite personality, though, I suppose that's probably somewhat common as well.

I kind of like the names they have for the different roles as well. An INTP is an Architect and the INTJ the Mastermind. Your INFP is the Healer. I think I'll go with INTJ, because Mastermind just sounds cool.

ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Mastermind does sound pretty cool smile I definitely think it's changeable and definitely it's hard to squish ourselves down to 1 of 16 possibilities.

3. Pamela N Red profile image86
    Pamela N Redposted 4 years ago

These type tests are usually pretty accurate although we don't always tend to be completely truthful so it can vary in accuracy. When I say truthful, I mean that we sometimes answer in how we try to be instead of how we really are.

I think having a significant other or close friend take the test on our behalf and comparing the results would be more accurate since how others perceive us isn't always how we see ourselves.

def true on some things. With the MB tests though the questions are either or, you do this or you do that - so I think it's easier to be more objective. It def does no good to be dishonest answering smile.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 4 years ago

Having administered and taken the Myers-Briggs, the MMPI, and other personality tests over several years, I found that the results of the Myers-Briggs were a little over a 50% match when compared with results of more rigorous tests, especially the MMPI.

Myers-Briggs and even pop-psychology tests in entertainment-type magazines can be a good starting point for self-analysis. HR departments that rely solely on Myers-Briggs in hiring and traininng decisions are making a mistake, though, in my opinion.

Definitely agree they shouldn't be used as standards for hiring/not hiring people. That seems very wrong to me.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

When the people that took the Myers-Briggs test for me received their results, most thought that the results were about 75% correct.

5. Borsia profile image44
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

I found it to be rather meaningless since you are asked to choose between two sets of statements when the real answer would be a combination of some traits from both.

6. Danette Watt profile image86
    Danette Wattposted 4 years ago

It's been quite a while since I took this test and I don't remember the exact combo it came up with for me but I do recall it as being accurate. I'm definitely an introvert and that's what they pegged me as.

working