jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What or who is your favorite mythological god, demigod or monster? What makes y

1. JMcFarland profile image88
    JMcFarlandposted 4 years ago

What or who is your favorite mythological god, demigod or monster?  What makes you like them?

I've always been fascinated by mythology, and I love aspects of virtually all mythology from Greek/Roman to Norse/Viking to Celtic and beyond.  I'm always interested in what draws people to certain heroes, monsters or villains.

2. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 4 years ago

I find myself drawn to the Norse/Viking and Celtic pantheons most often but I love and enjoy all mythology.

Odin is one that I just cannot learn enough about. I think my allure to him, for the most part, is attributed to the tales of his attained knowledge and wisdom, and of course the story of how he obtained them. Wisdom is undervalued, in my opinion, so his sacrifice to gain it is admirable to me. He is known as the Allfather, a war god, a shape shifter that rides an eight-legged horse, he travels with two ravens who report to him the things they witness going on around the world...how fascinating is that? Let's face it, he's a badass and I admit, I can't help myself, his mythology certainly holds my attention!

The Goddess Morrigan of Celtic mythology is fascinating to me as well. This multifaceted war/earth goddess has a mystery and fierceness that I find so intriguing. The symbolism of the Morrigan regarding strength, power, and capability for/of women is very empowering. I think I see these aspects about her as something I want, wish, and hope to have/accomplish myself in my own life. Also, like Odin, she has this badass, don't mess with me, persona that I just can't help but admire.

This is a great topic and question. Mythology is much beloved to me. I don't think I could ever tire of it.

JMcFarlandposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I always loved Morrigan, and considered it as a name for a daughter if my partner and I ever had children.  I love how she evolved over time, through her associations with Morgan la Fey, etc.  I enjoy Odin as well.  Thanks for your answer!

2. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Morrigan will make a beautiful name for a daughter. I think it's a lovely name and it could certainly provide a very intriguing story for her when the, 'how did you guys pick my name' questions come about. She'll likely be fascinated!

3. Alphadogg16 profile image93
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

I have always liked Thor, I read his comics as a kid even before I had an understanding of mythology. Even know as I'm older, he's still my favorite.

4. aliasis profile image92
    aliasisposted 4 years ago

Ooh, so many!

Tyr from Norse mythology - how he held his hand in the wolf because no one else would, so brave.
    "Mother Goddess" Artemis - The Cult of Artemis worshiped Artemis as a many-breasted mother goddess. I saw statues of her when I was in Istanbul. Really beautiful.
    Amaterasu - Japanese sun goddess. Seems rare to have the goddess be the "supreme" and the sun is usually reserved for gods, too.
    Apollo - who can't love the twins.
    Brigid - the goddess that was adapted to becoming a Christian saint

JMcFarlandposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I love brigid, she's amazing.  I'm not as familiar with Japanese mythology,  but I will  definitely have to look her up.   The norse and Greek/Roman are so iconic, nothing else needs to be said.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I more fascinated with the Native American versions of the Great Spirit and other beings.