Do you believe the U.S. Military has the right to a Christian chaplain?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (32 posts)
  1. BuffaloGal1960 profile image67
    BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years ago

Do you believe the U.S. Military has the right to a Christian chaplain?

I've heard the U. S. Military has ordered crosses down from Chaplain tents so they don't "offend" anyone and I've heard they are denying Christian Troops religious freedom to their Christian beliefs.  What are your thoughts?

2. junkseller profile image80
    junksellerposted 10 years ago

My thoughts are that you should stop paying attention to sites like Breitbart and MrConservative. While Chaplains can be Christian, they are not there to be Christian, they are there to support the needs of soldiers of any and all faiths, and like any element of the government should not be using their position of authority to promote one faith over another. This really isn't a difficult concept.

1. Georgie Lowery profile image88
      Georgie Loweryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I did not know that military Chaplains had to support all faiths. That must be a difficult position for some.

2. junkseller profile image80
      junksellerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cultures do change and perhaps there are some for whom the culture has changed around them, but really, the job description isn't unclear. Don't see why they'd apply to a job if it wasn't something they wanted to do.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I've heard that any statement that starts with "I've heard..." usually turns out to be B.S.

Just sayin'.

BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I heard it from about 8 different news sources. I heard it from a minister being interviewed also.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"And I heard it through the grapevine....oh, I heard it through the grapevine..."

3. BuffaloGal1960 profile image67

The words "I've heard" can mean many things.  I think if you are in doubt that it's factual, you may want to google it and learn something rather than sound like a child.

4. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Well, of course, they have the right to a Christian chaplain because there are many soldiers who are Christian!  Just like if there are soldiers of other faiths for religions, then there should be chaplains for them.

I agree with you Faith. I was wondering if anyone was truly paying attention.  Have you noticed that if someone screams "I want to worship Satan" it's okay. If someone wants to read a Muslim bible, it's okay.  But if it has to do with Christ....Well!

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

5. Pollyannalana profile image60
    Pollyannalanaposted 10 years ago

Well of course it is true, and not right. Even the president ordered a cross covered at one of his appearances and we all know that. Not only that but when a Muslim terrorists shoot down our men we cannot call him a terrorist or give these dead the rights they deserved so it is anti-Christian going on right now from a Muslim president,(Ft Hood) no two ways about it. All we have to do is see what he does and we see. More are seeing all the time. Thank God.

I hadn't heard the prez ordered one covered, but I'm not surprised either.

6. Georgie Lowery profile image88
    Georgie Loweryposted 10 years ago

I hadn't heard and I don't like to speak without being informed, so I Googled "us military denying christian" and came up with a bunch of "news" sources from this past spring (and one from the recent government shutdown) and a lot of other sites quoting each other. I also found something about a cross being removed from a Chaplain's tent in a US military base in Afghanistan, but only one source and it's not one I trust to present anything resembling unbiased news.

My personal thoughts are, in all honesty, that I'm not a Christian so it doesn't affect me. I'm perfectly okay with having crosses or not having crosses or having prayer or not having prayer.

The news source I saw on the cross had photo. I believe it was submitted my an Air Force member.  It was on TV so I can't recall the news source. I think this effects everyone (end result) whether or not they are Christian.  Because what's next?

2. Pollyannalana profile image60
      Pollyannalanaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So then if it doesn't affect you you don't care? Why did you respond to this then, I have to wonder.

3. Georgie Lowery profile image88

The question asked was "What are your thoughts?" Those were my thoughts. Just because I'm not a Christian doesn't mean I don't have valid views and opinions.

7. BuffaloGal1960 profile image67
    BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years ago

This is a retired general speaking in this video. He seems genuinely concerned and this video clip gives a quote from DoD (Department of Defense)
    http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-c … e-military

1. junkseller profile image80

"Service members can share their faith (evangelize), but must not force unwanted, intrusive attempts to convert others of any faith or no faith to one’s beliefs (proselytization)." http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati … lical-pent

2. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excuse you but you do not understand what those words mean to true Christians. Junkseller those words can mean "by living a good life". So are you agreeing that Christian must act like jackasses?

3. Georgie Lowery profile image88

Ericdierker, are you saying that Christians should have benefits and privileges not afforded to people of other religions?

4. junkseller profile image80

Ericdierker, I'm not sure what you are going on about. I simply repeated what the military said and what those words mean to them. Intrusive attempts to convert people are wrong. Are you disagreeing with that?

5. Ericdierker profile image46

I am saying that love trumps politics. Pros --- God's people must evangelize through love and action. If any institution goes so far as to prohibit that they are wrong and if you support hat you are wrong.
      Read the trancripts more carefully.

6. junkseller profile image80

Evangelizing through love and action are fine. Proselytizing through force and intrusion isn't. Seems like a clear distinction to me.

8. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Military code of conduct is pretty tight on speaking derogatorily about policy in the public domain. So the fact that these stories are actually attributed to servicemen speaks volumes as to credibility.
    But I think we have to be real and expect some of this. Atheists, Muslims and Jews and gays along with Native Americans and African Americans have had a rough go of it in the recent past in our military. And we need not even mention about women.
    So as bias is lifted and these folks elevate in rank it is only natural they do a little "stick it to the white male Christian". I think it will balance out. Yes we notice our POTUS has some of those tendencies also. But just think of other "regime" changes. Christians are massacred.
    So for us Christians we almost have to welcome the persecution as it lifts our faith and hones our grace and thankfulness. And in a societal sense it is a repentance of sorts for past heavy handedness.
    We live here with over 300,000 servicepeople in our county. And I think there is a great big agape love affair as we appreciate all service members.
    My wife works on the 32 street Naval Base and they do a big Halloween, Thankgsiving and all the traditional trimmings are out, not for Holidays but for Christmas. (and I must say the Thanksgiving/Hanukkah gave us great cause to donate turkeys to families of Jewish service members) That is way cool.
    And there were over 10,000 Christmas trees donated to Camp Pendleton Marine's families.

So the persecution remains and so to higher the exultation of our spirit and The Spirit. Believe me, here in a very Military County our Christian servicepeople and their families are lifted up during this time of year. There is no threat here in a place named "St. James" or as we celebrate it out here San Diego!!!

1. Pollyannalana profile image60

Our military as our country was built on the Jesus Christ faith but we allowed others in but now all of a sudden we are the ones they want to root out and you think that is OK? Tell me if you think God would make or approve of the remark you made.

2. Ericdierker profile image46

God would send and does send us messengers like Nelson Mandela and Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King jr. and Paul and Peter to remind us that God's kingdom is open to all. And while we may be violent in opposition to violence against others. Not ourselves.

3. BuffaloGal1960 profile image67

What a great story!  Thanks for sharing that!

4. Pollyannalana profile image60

You won't ever hear me speak a word against a Jew who is God's chosen but you a pastor are here promoting and defending gays and atheists? I wonder if you have ever read a bible. You should do that, God's word is THE word and you are misquoting Him b

5. Ericdierker profile image46

Beautiful that those of us that preach love and tolerance are persecuted by you. I assume you be a woman. And if you a truly fundamentalist and scriptural sound you know you should not speak here out loud. Especially against a male preacher. ????

9. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 10 years ago

I could be wrong but I thought freedom of religion was part of the U.S. constitution. If U.S. troops are fighting for freedom then it seems strange to me to deny them freedom that is given by basic U.S. law. Do U.S. citizens stop being citizens of the USA when they put on a uniform to serve their country?

Yes, the U.S. military has the right to a Christian chaplain. They also have the right to a Rabbi if they are of the Jewish faith. Since the 1960s there have been African Americans who are of the Muslim faith. If they are in the military and want representation too, well, that is okay with me.

As far as I know there have been Chaplains associated with the U.S. military since the War of Independence. Though Christian, I believe that some of these Chaplains are versed enough in Judaism and even the faith of the Muslims to pinch hit in an emergency when a Rabbi or a spiritual Muslim leader is not available. The idea here being to give spiritual comfort.

Don't you have 'In God We Trust' on one of your coins? Should it be changed to 'We don't believe in anything and won't believe in anything for politically correct reasons.' My thoughts at any rate.

I like how you addressed the "spiritual comfort" and that it should apply to all members of different faiths.  If one faith is recognized, it should recognize all of them.  Why are Christians being singled out? Christianity does not coerce!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)