jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What causes so many parents of large families (6 or more children per household)

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What causes so many parents of large families (6 or more children per household) routinely

criticize small families (1-2 children per household) and go into attack mode when people return the favor?  In blogs,hubs, and articles, parents of large families routinely criticize small families, particularly children from small families. When they discuss small families, it is done with venom and animosity. They staunchly believe that everyone should have a family as large as theirs.  However, when people criticize large families, they become highly incensed and go into attack mode.  They can attack small families but don't one dare criticize THEIR family.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8540800_f260.jpg

2. kj force profile image72
    kj forceposted 4 years ago

Todays society is quick to comment in a negative way... more so than previous years...it seems rude and crude are accepted these days, just look at the reality shows on TV. This invention which was originally introduced for entertainment purposes ( fiction,humor,news of the world ) has become as
    " reality " to many. Everyone wants to try to justify their lifestyle to others, with the thought being theirs is better, bigger and totally correct. It's become an I am right you are wrong society...without compromise...
    There is no such thing as " one size fits all !!!"... trust me... just walk through a Walmart .....no pun intended...

gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have wtnessed parents,esp. moms of large families,critique small families in a visceral way.They seem to be ANGRY, endless justifying their "lifestyle" to other people. They seem to be IN DENIAL regarding their predictament, hmmmm.

3. kschimmel profile image49
    kschimmelposted 4 years ago

I don't know of large families that criticize small families.  In my experience, the snide comments are almost always directed at the large family (me.)  I'm sorry if anyone has experienced otherwise, but I assure you it was not from me, nor from my children. I taught them to behave better than that. As for criticizing the children, that is awful no matter where it comes from--children don't choose their families.

Beautiful answer, I like you, Ms. Schimmel.

4. brakel2 profile image82
    brakel2posted 4 years ago

I don't believe you can make a general statement about families, as each family is different. I have never heard bad remarks over family size by parents. If a parent does that, I would think that person is misinformed. I know two households who have twelve children. It would be difficult to support that many children. They did it well, however. Children are precious.

I HAVE, just check out the large family blogs on the internet and overhear the remarks that parents of large families say about parents and children from small famililes.It ISN'T pretty at all.

working