jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should you turn down your thermostat when you leave your home on cold days?

1. cclitgirl profile image96
    cclitgirlposted 4 years ago

Should you turn down your thermostat when you leave your home on cold days?

Let's say you normally keep your thermostat at 65. But, you turn it down to 58 when you leave. Does it take just as much energy to heat it back up to 65 as it would if you just left the thermostat at 65 when you leave? Or does it use less?

2. LCDWriter profile image96
    LCDWriterposted 4 years ago

Does it make sense to turn down your thermostat when you leave the house? read more

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

In our case we use less energy when we turn it down and then bump it up when we get back home.  We have radiant heat. I don't know if would make a difference based on the type of heating system you have.

4. Cre8tor profile image98
    Cre8torposted 4 years ago

Never go below 59 to decrease pipe freeze potential. The average savings with a programmable thermostat is about 6% when properly used, which is basically what you're doing manually if on a regular basis. So yes, it saves, but to what extent depends on the regularity of the drop, length of winter, etc...

If doing this manually, my issue is being uncomfortable during the reheat. Cold, then hot and clammy. So to me, I would rather have comfort and more even temps throughout the house than save $30 or $40 a year.

I would use a programmable stat to maximize your savings. Just be sure to use it properly. A lot of complaints about these stats are stemmed from improper use so of course the product gets a bad rap because it's user didn't understand it.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I think it would be a good way to save money on energy costs, but there are other factors some people need to consider. While it is true most animals have fur and stay warm at lower temperatures, others have less fur or for medical reasons can't keep themselves as warm. Leave the heat up for them.