jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What do you think of the case of Rachel Canning suing her parents for financial

1. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

What do you think of the case of Rachel Canning suing her parents for financial support?

Two days before her 18th birthday, Rachel Canning of New Jersey, left her parents' home and declared herself "emancipated". Since then she brought a lawsuit against the parents in the aim of forcing them to pay off tuition of her private high school as well as provide her a weekly allowance, pay her college education and her attorney fees. The judge has sided with the parents on most of the issues but delayed ruling on the college tuition. He also expressed concern the case may "establish precedent where parents live in fear of establishing rules of the house?" What do you think of this case?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8791026_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago

I think it's ridiculous that an attorney would even entertain this as a legitimate case.  As far as her high school tuition, I think her parents need to pay it because of their contractual obligation.  Beyond that, she needs to do what they want in their house, provided that they are not forcing her by physically or emotionally abusive means to do so, if she wishes to continue to enjoy their financial support. Otherwise, she can run with her scholarship and work to support herself through school the way bazillions of others have done and will continue to do.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

If she did indeed leave the house and declare herself emancipated, at 18 she is now responsible for paying her own way including her college tuition and her attorney fees. Those are things which she brought upon herself after making the declaration. As for the high school tuition and anything else the parents took on before she left, they're responsible for those bills. They're the ones who made the contracts with the schools or any other services. Now that she's on her own, she's responsible for making and keeping the contracts.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

I hope the judge chews this self absorbed little twit up and spits her out.

5. RKerse profile image61
    RKerseposted 3 years ago

I was so annoyed I was inspired to blog.  You want the freedom, you get the responsibilities that come with it.  I am sick of the entitlement mentality rampant in our society.  I learned a lot from the school of hard knocks because I was a rebel.  My parents were caring and capable, but they taught me responsibility and accountability.  I knew that if I lived in their home, I was expected to abide by their rules.  When I decided I could not, I moved out.  It never occurred to me that my parents should be forced to fund that decision. 

Her parents have every right to choose how they spend their money.  I expect an offer from Playboy or some adult movie production company is already on the way to the brat.  She will probably use her parents insane expectations as her reason for accepting it.

1. bethperry profile image92
      bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I would not be surprised, RKerse!

6. wmhoward4 profile image70
    wmhoward4posted 3 years ago

The sad part is that her adolescently flawed mind led her to ruin her relationship with her parents. Years from now, she will regret what she did.

working