jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Are YOU of the school that children should have chores or are YOU of the school

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

Are YOU of the school that children should have chores or are YOU of the school that children

shouldn't have chores because as children, they should have as free a childhood as possible?

2. realtalk247 profile image69
    realtalk247posted 3 years ago

Yes for chores.  There is nothing wrong with teaching responsibility.

3. Kiss andTales profile image80
    Kiss andTalesposted 3 years ago

Reference Bible Pr 22:6 Train up a boy according to the way for him; even when he grows old he will not turn aside from it.
    Good habits come from early training, that includes physical health,mental,and responsibility of ones actions. This is the window of development. To many people miss out and and pay later.

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I believe the number one responsibility of any parent is to prepare their children to become independent self-reliant contributing citizens of society. This entails providing a healthy positive environment that encourages building self-esteem and discipline. Children who have chores are taught responsibility and learn the value of working and accomplishing a task.
    One of the worst things is seeing an (adult child) who does not know how to do basic things such as cooking, cleaning the house, ironing, and doing laundry. These are things that both genders should be taught over the years as they grow into adulthood. If an adult child is still relying on their parents for these basic things the parents have failed in my opinion.
    After a certain age parents shouldn't be treating their children like hotel guests! I knew a teenage girl who never hung her clothes up. She'd either leave them on the bed or floor for her mother to put them away. She told her mother what she wanted for dinner, left her empty plate on the table, and was not expected to do any housework. Her parents were nothing more than servants, chauffeurs, and human ATM machines. (And they loved it!)

1. Kiss andTales profile image80
      Kiss andTalesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

So very real dashingscorpio  that this has become the outcome of  not raising children to be responsible Adults.

2. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I supervised an employee who in her 50s DIDN'T know how to do simple tasks.Her parents waited on her hand and foot her entire life When her parents died, she was LOST. Also, this dependence transferred to her work; suffice to say, she was NO PICNIC!

5. moonfairy profile image79
    moonfairyposted 3 years ago

I had to do chores and when my son was old enough he did chores as well. I think it's important to teach responsibility at an early age....
    I completely agree with everything that dashingscorpio said. We owe it to our children to give them responsibility. It teaches them to be helpful and to pick up after themselves....and it teaches them to be a team player.

6. ForLoveofCupcakes profile image86
    ForLoveofCupcakesposted 3 years ago

I definitely think kids should have age-appropriate chores!  They can still have a great and free childhood while helping around the house and learning the importance of serving others.  smile

7. vicki simms profile image74
    vicki simmsposted 3 years ago

My 2 eldest children are 8 and 12 and they understand that we all live in the house together and that means we all "muck in" together. They will wash and dry up, hoover, sweep the floors and make their packed lunches for school, not everyday but enough for them know and learn about responsibilities.