jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What strategies can schools and parents use together to motivate a poorly perfor

1. Ravenford profile image72
    Ravenfordposted 3 years ago

What strategies can schools and parents use together to motivate a poorly performing student?

2. Zelkiiro profile image95
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Maybe if schools actually followed one of the many, many, many ways in which studies have shown to be more effective in making children more receptive to new information (one-on-one teaching sessions, making the process of learning more like a game, LITERALLY ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE CURRENT NON-STOP ONE-TEACHER-MANY-STUDENTS LECTURE HALL APPROACH), then this wouldn't be such an issue.

3. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

schools should prepare extra tuition class for free and parents should comminucate well with teachers in charge, monitor well their kids homework and revision

4. Old-Empresario profile image82
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

It depends on the subject. The best strategy where reading is concerned is for parents to read more and encourage reading by visiting the library and selecting books from the school's list. Good luck. This may sound like a radical concept, but the more parents stay out of the whole process the better. You know as well as I do that most parents are ignorant yokels who only impede the foundation of knowledge children receive from public education. I have three kids and our school is always getting parents involved in homework and in their child's education. It's a disaster. Parents are not professional educators. Most parents lack the time and education that the average teacher possesses. Half the time, the parent scoffs at the assignments and says, "this is stupid! you'll never need this. Your teacher's an idiot" Exactly how is that parent qualified to say what a child should or should not know? I guess to answer your question, a parent can try to take a personal interest in reading. But we're so far from being a literary culture at this point that parents don't even know what qualifies as literature anymore. You've got 2/3 of parents undermining the teaching of the formation of proteins, genetic similarities and mutations and fossil records that prove the evolutionary theory. Teachers have crazy parents threatening them.
    To qualify my remarks, how about I mention the most-involved parents in any school: The young ladies who run my kids' school's PTA can only be described as lunatics. They don't even understand the purpose of school. After raising a significant amount of money (good job there) for the school, they then took a wrong term by asserting that because the PTA raised the money, the PTA should decide how the money is spent. Lab equipment? more books? better maps? computers? anything educational?--nope. They decided the school needed 2 dozen park benches that clutter up the front of the school--but at least they all have a place to sit their fat asses while they wait to pick up their children. That's what's important.

1. profile image59
      lauramarie524posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I am a teacher. I recently just had a parent problem. They did threaten me through email. I had over 25+ emails from Fri-Mon AM, all over Pokeman cards. When the student is not performing it can be a variety of reasons. It's our job to figure it out.

Closed to reply