jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think it's more beneficial to get the degree or skip the degree and obtai

1. profile image55
    Un4gettableposted 3 years ago

Do you think it's more beneficial to get the degree or skip the degree and obtain experience.

I ask because with the cost of a college education you come out of school with a degree and debt. In the mean time the job market is scarce and most employers want people with experience. I know that a degree pays off in the long run, but had you skipped the 2 or 4 years of college and just went straight to a job and worked your way uo technically wouldn't you fair the same. Thoughts please?

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

This depends on your field.  In most fields no, you will not do the same as you would with a college degree, particularly if you are working for others as opposed to being self-employed.  In some fields, yes, experience is what lands you the jobs, but even then most employers want the degree too.   I work as a freelance writer and I do graphics design etc.  I got my gigs doing these things as the result of experience over education.  In this instance, practice makes perfect and the more experience you have, the better you are.  Word of mouth is how I get most of my clients.  If I were trying to work a traditional job however, I would not make the amount I can make freelancing because I have a two year degree despite a lot of experience.

1. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This is a great example of when one does not need a degree to be successful. You made your own market. Great Job.
      Reminds me of Rich Dad Poor Dad.

3. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 3 years ago

Well, for most jobs a degree is necessary, therefore to get experience one should probably get a degree. If one maybe gets lucky and does not have the degree yet still gets the job, they would then likely get passed later on for promotions because they do not have a degree. So more than likely, it is best to get a degree.

If money is an issue, then I would suggest exhausting all resources to find other avenues to have school paid for. Just remember, no one is going to come to you and beg to pay for your school, so you must be diligent and undeterred. You can possibly do work study or co-op or if you are getting an advanced degree, many universities offer graduate assistantships. Another possibility is to go to a community college.

I did all of the above and have never had any student loans. Granted, I didn't get to go to Harvard, but I was able to get the education and the pieces of paper. Remember, you get out of it what you put into it.

working