What would cause a highly educated and intelligent person to be religious? Many

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

What would cause a highly educated and intelligent person to be religious?  Many studies have

stated that the more educated and highly intelligent a person is, the less likely he/she will be religious. 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12234087_f260.jpg

2. profile image56
    retief2000posted 9 years ago

There must be a terrible flaw in those studies. Have you ever met a Jesuit priest? I have known many, all with PhDs. The Big Bang Theory was proposed by a Catholic priest. I wonder how all of those Jewish PhDs feel about the validity of these studies.

Considering the first universities were all religious, I wonder if it isn't the contemporary atmosphere of the university that isn't the culprit rather than education, itself.

1. Kiss andTales profile image61
      Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting about the big bang theory ,as, you have noted ,that still uses the title theory meaning not proven,  also another huber stated that all scientist agree with this and evolution , thank you for proving.
      this starts with human theory.

2. profile image56
      retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

There has been an official Vatican Observatory since the 1780s.

3. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 9 years ago

I believe you have been misled; or have over-simplified or perhaps are subject to subtle critical-thinking avoidance. Some of the most intelligent people on earth are indeed religious, although one can also argue that some of the most intelligent people in the world are agnostic or atheistic.
    I would postulate that since our world is mostly secular in nature it is significantly difficult to be openly religious or even defined in anyway to be religious without negative consequences or at minimum not popular. Yet indeed this world is ruled by the secular and I would summize that the truly religious are a relatively minuscule group not unlike the underground during World War II in an occupied territory. Now having texted that, consider If death is not the end, perhaps death is the beginning of a new phase and a mere mystery to have a leap of faith to get beyond...

1. dashingscorpio profile image69
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

John do you believe most (highly educated people) believe the Garden of Eden story or some form of Evolution? Samson killing 1000 men with a donkey jawbone? Adam lived to be 930 years old, Foreign languages exist because of the Tower of  Babel?

2. connorj profile image69
      connorjposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Dashingscorpio,
      With all due respect; your argument may perhaps be flawed in the equating of religion entirely with the bible. Many religious do not propose that their religion is entirely based on the bible (that is a narrow view).

3. dashingscorpio profile image69

Excellent point John! Generally speaking most discussions on HP concerning religion tend to be based around Christianity. That is also the one I'm most familiar with! smile

4. connorj profile image69

Are you assuming all Christian faiths' authority is just based on the bible? If you are you may indeed be suffering from a critical thinking flaw referred to over-simplification...

5. profile image56
      retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

The largest single Christian church is the Catholic Church. It would be handy if some would acquaint themselves with its comments regarding science before lumping all religious into one pile.

4. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12234613_f260.jpg

I would bank on there are more educated and successful people who are religious than not. Just in overcoming the battles of internal limitations with faith and to perservere against the people in the world, religion is very often depended upon. You may not see all the yoga classes, churches filled with college grads, bibles and scriptures in purses, wallets and cars, You may not see the prayers, or meditation sessions behind office doors. Religion is like rocket fuel. The higher a person's achievements in life, usually the more universal their outlook. Which has it's bases and strength from religious or moral teachings of some sort.

5. dashingscorpio profile image69
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

Most people were religiously indoctrinated during their early childhood by their parents. Many were in Sunday School before they could read!
    They don't call our early childhood years the "formative years" for nothing. Early teachings and beliefs tend to stay ingrained with people especially if they were constantly reinforced by parents, grandparents, and others. Religion (stays) with most people.
    Lastly a lot of folks find some measure of comfort knowing they can reach out to God for guidance and support during rough times.
    Just about everyone has a story where they prayed and got something they wanted. However these same people have also prayed for things and didn't get them but it does not stop them from believing. It would be interesting percentage wise to know how often people got the things they "wanted" or not after prayer.
    Faith & Logic are unrelated.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image65
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is a BIG difference betwee Faith as in a religious word and Faith as what Jesus spoke about.  People get that messed up becasue of their indoctrination.

2. dashingscorpio profile image69

I agree there is some difference. However since the question was asked under a religious category I was talking about the faith one has that God will come through for them in times of trouble or "make a way out of no way" or whatever they ask for

6. Lady Guinevere profile image65
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

Religion and intelligence are two different things.  There are several physician's that I know who are also very religious.  So that would put out that study's theory that intellegent people cannot be religious too.

7. Kiss andTales profile image61
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

To answer this question ,Mathew 6:19 “Stop storing up for yourselves treasuresa upon the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 Rather, store up for yourselves treasures in heaven,b where neither moth nor rust consumes,c and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    James 5:3 simply says what can happen if we choose the earthy  treasures over spiritual treasures ,
    there are people that are wealthy in this system of the world today,  but there are people who do not live for something that can be taken away at anytine, your spiritual treasure will be with you into eternity with God .
    and that is the wisdom that preserves it owners life.

8. M. T. Dremer profile image82
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

The rituals and community of religion is something that can easily follow someone into adulthood regardless of their intellect. Even if they didn't believe what the religion was saying, having grown up with those customs, they would likely still continue them out of respect for their family and pure nostalgia. However, I do believe that a great deal of atheists are still in the closet. It's taboo to not be associated with some kind of religion or deity.

9. Karen Ranoni profile image40
    Karen Ranoniposted 9 years ago

Because it's brainwashing by parents passed onto children who have been taught not to question religion and to just practice blind faith. IMO

1. connorj profile image69

Is this not in itself a classic over-simplification?

10. daydreamer13 profile image60
    daydreamer13posted 9 years ago

This implies that poorly educated people are the ones who believe in religion. This question could be taken offensively. To answer the question though, I could name many great minds who have religious beliefs. What would cause that to happen would be an understanding and faith in their chosen religion. I suppose you could say the same for the less educated as well.

11. profile image0
    promisemposted 9 years ago

I know highly educated and intelligent people who are not religious because a) they rely on logic to decide if God exists and b) they don't have the spiritual experience (revelation) that is central to being religious.

12. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 9 years ago

What studies?  Can you quote specific sources?  Or are you going by words of your friends?  What makes someone highly intelligent?  By what standards are these people intelligent? 

This is a pretty offensive question. You are implying here that anyone who is religious must be uneducated and stupid.  That is pretty unfair.  I have two degrees, and I have chosen to believe that a God exists, that a God has created me, and loved me, and that does NOT make me less educated than you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)