Why is there prejudice against the highly intelligent and educated among us?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Why is there prejudice against the highly intelligent and educated among us?

2. QudsiaP1 profile image60
    QudsiaP1posted 6 years ago

The answer in my opinion is simple; human being being social animals tend to divide into groups amongst themselves based on interest and various commonalities. We also tend to follow certain stereotypes religiously; one of which would be that "It is awesome to be cool and weird to be too brainy/intelligent".

As a result of this those who are intelligent amongst us always seem to find themselves in a certain stereotyped box where certain things can never be expected of them. I believe popular culture is responsible for this prejudice.

3. Danwe profile image73
    Danweposted 6 years ago

Hi, I would just add to QudsiaP1's answer that we also tend to bring people, who we perceive to be better than us, down. It is a crab mentality. You know when you put a lot of crabs into a pot and start boiling them, some of them could get out by climbing over others. But the others on the other hadn tend to pull them down so all of them boil in the end.

1. profile image54
      bishopmateposted 6 years agoin reply to this

my comment needs more lines buts its a inner feeling we individuals have and wish so jealousy may be cause why its thought that way.  But its there..

4. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago

Essentially, because people who aren't as smart/eduated, etc. have a number of responses...

a) They freel threatened because if they can't keep up, they will be overtaken.

b) They feel jealous because smart/educated people are rewarded in ways that they aren't

c)  They feel embarrassed and humiliated because their mistakes are exposed for all to see. This is the part where, instead of looking at their ignorance and fallibility, they accuse smart, educated people as being arrogant.

d) or they are so ignorant and lacking that they honestly cannot see someone else as smarter and more informed. In that case claim superiority by virtue of numbers...

gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You are so correct regarding this premise.   It is mostly envy and jealousy on the part of those who do not possess the same capabilities as those who are highly educated and intelligent.  Thank you Sophie for your intelligent and insightful response

5. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 6 years ago

I"ve never noticed a prejudice here in California. Education and intelligence shouldn't bring resentment unless it is presented w/ an attitude of superiority or exclusion.

6. KateWest profile image75
    KateWestposted 6 years ago

Many problems/issues are rooted in fear. Fear can make people angry, insecure, violent or passively introverted. Some of these people can't stand the perception of elitism. Americans especially seem to get uncomfortable with the intellectual. And sometimes you just fear what you don't understand.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"Some of these people can't stand the perception of elitism."  I think that there is a belief amongst some that if one is smarter, richer, prettier, or whatever, then one is better than others. I don't think one is better than others ever.

7. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 6 years ago

If there is a prejudice, it's because of the few that ask questions that they know the average Joe can't answer. They try to dazzle people with their knowledge for the sake of stroking their own inflated ego. If your purpose is to teach and share that knowledge you are blessed with, bless you back. But if it's just to inflate your own head a little more, save it.
        Remember the one bad apple thing.

1. profile image0

Oh, you mean that the average Joe feels stupid? Yes, I understand that. The old saying is that if one doesn't know the answer, one doesn't contribute. Better to remain quiet and say nothing than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

2. IDONO profile image81
      IDONOposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing stupid about not knowing an answer. And we can't feel that way.  Not trying to learn the answer, That's stupid.  Some intelligent people don't do this to make you feel stupid. They are bolstering their egos. Don't let'em.

3. profile image0

Idono, when someone asks me something I don't know, I say, "I don't know." That does not make me feel stupid. However, a lot of people feel compelled to answer things that they don't know.  In any event, I was referring to your original post... smile

8. profile image54
    kdawsonposted 6 years ago

I believe the majority of people consider themselves flawed...nose too big, stomach, butt not up to community standards, and so on.  Hence the great popularity of self help books, dvds, etc.  We have a tendency to underestimate ourselves and are
    irritated by any perceived advantage we see in someone else.  This irritation causes fear and fear always brings hatred along for the ride.

9. icu12bme2 profile image57
    icu12bme2posted 6 years ago

Have you ever noticed how MUCH you have to learn to learn just how much there IS to learn? I read somewhere that 80% of us think we are smarter than average! How is that POSSIBLE? I think when a person's education on a given subject begins and ends with his/her own intuition, we tend to take correction as a personal insult. An educated person is often more interested in LEARNING than showing off what they "know". This has the unfortunate effect of making the most ignorant folks the most proud of their intelligence.

Some of the smartest people I have met are also the most HUMBLE on their given subject, while a layman tends to think his own limited exposure is the standard against which other insights are judged.

gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that!

2. profile image0

Absolutely spot on!

10. cfin profile image75
    cfinposted 6 years ago

One word, 'jealousy'. You will always find that Jealousy is where hate begins and where friendships end.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)