jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

Why, as an adult, did you return to school?

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image84
    Jacqueline4390posted 2 years ago

Why, as an adult, did you return to school?

There are many reasons why adults return to the rigors of education. Some people want to be able to bid for that “great job.” There are others who wish to be able to assist their offspring with homework or be able to converse successfully. There are even more who just want to learn a particular skill because they really never had the time or the opportunity of enhancing their repertoire during their “formative years."

So—if you returned or are returning to the academic arena—why?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9516014_f260.jpg

2. cobrien profile image74
    cobrienposted 2 years ago

I'm tired of living in poverty and I was offered financial aid. I know I will need to pay back my student loans, but it shouldn't be too painful once I get my degree.
    I also am "growing up" and want to make more of a contribution to society. I also want to be a positive role model.

Jacqueline4390posted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is great!

3. adagio4639 profile image82
    adagio4639posted 2 years ago

I simply wanted to study subjects that had enormous appeal to me and expanded my knowledge of those subjects.

I admire your initiative!

4. easylearningweb profile image91
    easylearningwebposted 2 years ago

My career was evolving and I decided to look into some night classes to boost my eLearning knowledge. I had already been involved in developing training materials for years, but needed to learn how to move into online learning development. When I looked for classes, I found a wonderful and unique grad school curriculum on "Instructional Design and Technology". I then decided to enroll in grad school. It took me about 7 years of night classes and I loved every class. It was the best thing I did and it helped me advance in my career. Sometimes you stumble upon things when you're searching for something else. In this case, opportunity knocked and I moved forward. Cheers to continuing education at any age!

While in grad school, I decided to take the leap from full-time to freelance contract work. I made a hub about it, and it's called: Transitioning From Full-Time to Freelance Work, http://easylearningweb.hubpages.com/hub … lance-Work

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing your dream!

5. Rod Marsden profile image76
    Rod Marsdenposted 2 years ago

I wanted to be a writer and was sick of dead end jobs. Hence a return to the classroom. College and then University were not like high school. In high school you had to put up with the morons who didn't want to be there. In college and then uni everyone wanted to get ahead. For me it was freedom to learn. I still hate high school.

Good for you on your endeavor! Much success in writing!

2. Rod Marsden profile image76
      Rod Marsdenposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.

6. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

without a certificate of diploma, you can't a decent job with a good pay

This is a true reality ... thanks for mentioning it!

7. kj force profile image71
    kj forceposted 2 years ago

With the way technology changes and moves in today's world, returning for further education in either your profession or perhaps another venue of said profession can be very beneficial. After I retired from Medicine, I decided to take some classes ( computer ) to help further my desire to do write regarding Medical Research in the ever changing world of auto-immune disorders, which are being discovered everyday..
    We can always learn something new....

You are to be congratulated. Retiring from the medical profession is quite an accomplishment in itself. To pursue a career in writing is great but of course I am bias when it comes to that!

working