jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What are the ways that boldness is strongly correlated to success while being fe

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What are the ways that boldness is strongly correlated to success while being fearful is equated

to being merely mediocre?

2. revolutionbjj profile image95
    revolutionbjjposted 2 years ago

I'd have to say that being bold has gotten me pretty far in life, so I have a personal bias behind this.  Two very specific *bold* instances deeply and profoundly affected the course of my life.  The first was a little over two decades ago, when I decided that I didn't buy the whole Christianity thing.  This freed my moral compass in many ways, and allowed me to start pursuing the life I wanted to live without a cloudy lens in front of everything.  The second was about ten years ago when I decided I wanted to start my own BJJ gym, no matter what the cost to me personally.  I was in a good place mentally, and I took a lot of personal risks (all of which I could afford to take). 

These moves would be considered bold by most, but for me, they were the only plays that made sense as opposed to a life of drudgery (and living a life that wasn't really mine).  The life I would have led, had I been fearful (or conservative) instead of allowing who I really was, and who I wanted to be, turned out to reap amazing benefits I can't help but call "successful."

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great answer indeed.  It is the difference between leading a red(a life which is authentic & w/o regrets) and a gray(a monotonous life w/ regrets)life.

3. profile image56
    aharrisposted 2 years ago

Whatever makes you believe this is true? 

Imagine two successful people.  One of them, say, Bill Gates, is a very happy guy. He pursued a path that was natural for him and, while competitive, won because he ran after something he wanted.  The other of them, say, Carl Icahn, is not a happy guy.  I guess you could say he pursues something, like other people's companies, but not because he was born to do it, but because he is afraid.  You could say he is running away from something, rather than pursuing something.  He is looking over his shoulder so much you wonder why he doesn't run into walls more often.

Both men are bold.  Both are successful.  But one is forward thinking and forward looking.  The other is afraid of failure, looking behind him to see what the competition is up to.  Overachievers suffer from this malady all the time, finding their top-tier schools and prestigious careers strangely unsatisfying. Always measuring themselves or wanting others to give them a good grade.They will never, ever know peace.

gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That is ANOTHER way of looking at the situation at hand.  It is good to think outside the box. I commend you immensely!

4. kj force profile image73
    kj forceposted 2 years ago

The old adage " nothing ventured nothing gained " comes to mind...sometimes you have to get out there and promote yourself, which is not always easy, but confidence and a belief in yourself , what have you got to lose ? Sometimes it is the squeaky wheel that get oiled " even though the other three need it also...Most successful people have had to go the extra mile, and no one has any inkling, of time it took or " chutzpah".
    If you want anything extra in life.. Just go for it !...just my thoughts...hopefully I answered the question properly.