Why do people cling so strongly to their belief systems?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (46 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago

How does a person form their belief systems in the first place?
    Why are people unwilling to change their beliefs when there is good reason their beliefs are false ie "I still believe anyway".
    Do belief systems rule our lives?

1. Stump Parrish profile image60
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

IMO, most personal belief systems are handed down to them from their parents. They cling to them out of respect for their parents and eventually it all becomes habit. Why most people cling to antiquated superstitions once they discover opyions has to do with the declining educational system in this country. It has been shown that the lower the level of education in a geographical area, the higher the level of religious belief is in that area. Example, of the 10 least educated states in America, 8 are in the top ten most religious states. How else could you explain the over whelming belief here in the bible belt that homosexuals aren't human. If they were considered human they would be entitled to the same rights as the bigotted christians who are fighting their right to marriage, a right we are have in this country. Perhaps if we can raise the educational level in this area to something above the level of an ignorant goat herder we might have a chance of moving this country into the 21 century. I am not holding my breath waiting for this to happen.

2. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

it is brainwashing, pure and simple

3. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People form beliefs so that they can understand their view of reality, considering what is knowable versus the illiterate, has a lot to it.

The number illiterate people in the world has grown and not lessened in the last decade. We have so many people who have grown up and become selfish(global problem).

The lack of compassion in the world is ruining societies(globally).

And, people want to belief that religion is the answer to all problems, but so far with 4 billion people believing in a god, things have only gotten worse. There are so many people not living for themselves, but some other life after death...that the mystic notion of life after death is better than living life.

The value of life has diminished greatly. The religious folk out number the rational thinking...and people wonder why the world's going to sh!t.

Most religious folk don't truly value life and yet they don't even know it. It's a damn shame.

The invasion of religious thinking, into school and in laws around the world is detrimental to the world's survival. That's already been pictured. If it gets any worse, yes humankind will make itself extinct.

Just a thought.

1. megs78 profile image60
        megs78posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I personally  believe that the world is 'going to shit' because of a lack of belief in anything, not the other way around.  I see our world today as a mess of people thrashing around in the dark, unable to place meaning in their lives, falling victim to deep depression and struggling to see value in their reasons for being on earth.  We have become so skeptical, unbearably lazy, and selfish (you're right about that).  But that descends from an emptiness of the soul.

1. libby101a profile image60
          libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree 100 percent megs!!! Apparently some are uneducated in school systems. It no longer allows praying or even the mention of God... so how is it an invasion of religious thinking in the schools? They have taken God out of the schools!! So that is just nonsense!

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
            Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

libby, I agree also.

2. profile image52
            Kevin Peterson 37posted 6 years agoin reply to this

No, God has NOT been “taken out” of school.    If he could be then he would be a weak, ineffectual God, and not worth serving.       Anyone that wants to pray in school can do it, but you cannot lead students in prayer.   You would not want to have a prayer forced on you that conflicts with your religious beliefs.  You are protected in America from this.   Extend the same courtesy to others.

4. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was introduced to Jesus through my Grandmother and family. It wasn't just a Sunday morning sermon, but more learning by observing God interacting in our lives everyday. My life is a series of personal experiences with the living God and that is more real than any "evidence" to the contrary. I am guided by my beliefs and believe without my faith I would be less.

5. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because nobody likes to be wrong.

6. BDazzler profile image78
      BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

These are all VERY good questions ... ironically, one's belief system itself will help form the answer for that person  .... I think it's a mixture of nature (genetic and physical environmental factors), nurture (family and social factors) and choice ... and I think the recipe  varies with each individual.

7. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The beliefs systems of today were formed over centuries of childhood indoctrination. All reason and rationale are wiped away by the consistent and ongoing brainwashing of children, who were then unable to adapt any form of critical thinking skills. Since all reason and rationale are void in the believer, they will be unable to change their beliefs, no matter how false the beliefs are shown to be.

Belief systems have ruled our lives for many centuries and have pervaded societies so much to the degree that the vast majority of problems in the world are the result of belief systems and the mindsets they have created, void of all reason and rationale.

smile

1. aguasilver profile image70
        aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, having been raised without disipline or any religious `brainwashing', after being a child of the sixties who was involved in everything that life offered then, having spent 30+ years thinking and exploring every avenue, during which time I lived and worked in the secular world, and was successful and even (dare I say it) powerful in society, and having finally coming to faith at 41 yeasrs of age.... you try to state that SIMPLY because I am a believer, I must be:

"unable to adapt any form of critical thinking skills. "

and, even more ridiculous....

"void of all reason and rationale."

You pathetic attempts to denigrate any believers mental capacity are even more inane than your normal bleating about the 'starving children' that you profess to care so much about, but seemingly do nothing to resolve as they are nothing but pawns in your sick little game.

You are an empty vessel, making much noise, but actually saying NOTHING of relevance.

If you spent as much time writing hubs, as you do prattling on about your pet fetishes, you may win the right to hold an opinion and be listened to.

1. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

do you realise how condenscending you come across?

8. Woman Of Courage profile image60

I form my belief in Jehovah God by faith, and by feeling the power of God's annointing over me. Personally, no one have not proved to me that God is not real, and they never will. From the first day I reached out to Almighty God, he has been by my side every step of the way. My belief does not rule my life. It is a vital part of my life everyday.

9. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been working on these questions for many years and still find it difficult to express it in words (my hub on the topic is still incomplete smile). Looking at beliefs in the global sense (rather than just religious beliefs) they certainly help organise our minds. Beliefs stacked upon beliefs, like a game of jenga. At the bottom of the stack are basic beliefs like the world is good (or bad); I am ok (or not)); I am loved (or not): and those kinds of fundamental beliefs are used to interpret our experiences and influence the beliefs that are stacked above.

Why do people find it difficult to change beliefs? Have you ever had a fundamental belief come crashing down along with all the beliefs associated with it? The pain and disorientation can be mind blowing and take a while to recover from. Not everyone is willing to go through that to get to the truth of who they are. Fortunately having done it many times now, it's not such a big deal, but it takes practice and a willingness to go through the process.

1. profile image52

Yes, it takes a strong person, and those who have had the thinking done for them their entire lives have to much to lose to face reality, and grow up.

10. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Positive reinforcement. If something is beneficial or perceived it to be, you'll maintain it. People associate certain positive experiences as experiences of god. Also religious belief offers a coping strategy. The idea there is an all powerful, infinately loving being wanting nothing but the best for you; That although your are suffering now, things will be alright in the end and one day you will live in bliss, is a very powerful reinforcer.

In contrast the atheist world view offers the idea that you are an insignificant, accidental peice of cosmic pollution. That your life and existence is simply the result of chance and when you die, you will just cease to exist. Or that we are the result of an alien scientist experiment, or that we live in a computer simulations and nothing is real to name but a few ideas. By way of solace in the face of the human condition it offers humanism. But humans being nice to each other doesn't compete (in conceptual terms) with an infinately powerful, father, brother, sister, mother figure who is said to hold your head above the water while you're here, and then wipe away all your tears at the end of time.

This is why I think those who already subscribe to some form of theistic belief are not disuaded from it by ridicule, persecution or even death. These things are all forms of negative reinforcement. Positive reinforcement is more powerful than negative reinforcement. Simply put, a perfect, omnimax deity trumps a warm and cuddly humanist every time, and certainly trumps the cold, stark view perceived by some to be characteristic of an atheist world view.

At the centre of all this is the human ability to hope and to imagine. That doesn't mean religious belief is untrue, just that it is intimately related with the human ability to imagine. To coneptualise things we cannot see. That ability allowed us to conceptualise tools with different parts. It's the same ability that allows us to conceptualise something greater than ourselves, something better than ourselves. The greatest thing, the most perfect thing. God. Indeed god (espescially as described in traditional Abrahamic religions) represents the ultimate expression of our ability to imagine.  The concept of god is simply every concept that we perceiev as good, imagined to its ultimate limit. Not only is god just, but perfectly just. Not only loving, perfectly loving. And of course not only lacking in evil but the antithesis of evil.

So as long as humans have the ability to imagine, I think there will be god-belief, because god represents the ultimate expression of that ability. I think the idea of god is the ultimate expression of the ultimate.

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Man! where did you get so much wisdom and imgination?

Thanks

11. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Because they prefer to idealize, even mythologize the situation rather than to face the reality of the situation.  People love to justify, even rationalize their abject, dire, or negative situations although logical, conclusive evidence is presented.   Most people are simply not intelligent enough to accept conclusive, beneficial evidence, they prefer to be mired in negativity.  They are afraid of accepting the TRUTH.........

2. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

I don't 'cling' to belief, I was an atheist until I was 41, read my profile and see for yourself... I came to faith in Christ because I started a relationship with Him and it's kinda difficult to need to 'cling' to something when you can experience it's validity every minute.

Rather like breathing, you see I don't need to 'cling' to breathing is seems to happen easily, until the day I die, then I will not need to breath any more, so I'll stop.

I think the OP shows their lack of understanding about why believers are so vehement in correcting unbelievers when they denounce Christ.

The reason is; we live with Him, so we cannot deny His existence!

1. profile image0

Everyone has beliefs, whether about god, their values, their 'rights', about every aspect of their lives.  Your belief system regarding christianity is very apparent on these forums.

I believed in christianity half my life.  It was a belief system that was reinforced through my parents and people in the church.  It was a very big thing to let go of that belief system and switch to my current belief system, which is that I think it is a load of crap

Don't worry, it took me 41 years to come to faith, so if you are having a hissy fit against Christ because of your early experiences, He will still bring you back if you should be with Him, it's a lost sheep thing!

1. profile image0

I'm not having a hissy fit.  I have looked in depth at both sides and decided that I don't believe in it

2. profile image52

I grew up in a “Christian” family.    The belief system is comforting, but also unhealthy.    They cannot be honest with themselves or take responsibility for their own actions.    Instead they shift blame to others who are “devils” and never do any honest, self-examination.   Protecting the illogical belief system is more important than facing reality.    They remain children and never grow.   The fears and prejudices they were taught remain.   Comfortable, safe easy lives, and easy answers are nice, but not at the expense of logic, reason, and human life.

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

The world, the universe are complex.  We don't have all the answers.  Humans need some sort of order.  A belief system is the mechanism by which we put a semblance of order on the chaos, allowing us to exist in a world that makes some sort of narrative sense.

4. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 13 years ago

I think some people just 'feel' it, you know? I have tried to unbelieve, in my days of rebellion and anger and depression, but I came back around in short order.  I feel God all around me, its something primitive in me, something I believe deep in my soul.  I just can't deny it.  But I wouldn't say that I 'cling'.  I just believe.

1. profile image0

it seems the subjective experience is a central theme with believe in god(s)

2. profile image0
      AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

GOD is the one to draw people to know and walk with him moment by moment on the earth and throughout all eternity. When you have this intimate relationship with GOD then you are sealed and no man can pluck you out of the Father's hand. You are sealed by the Holy Spirit. You still continue to have free will and will get the results of what you sow upon the earth. It is a relationship that is begun by GOD and is finish by GOD. GOD knows who is his own and will bring them safely through this earth life and be forever in his presence where he is preparing a place for them who have a personal relationship with him. Thank you. Go in peace.

AMEN!

3. profile image0
      AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

GOD is the one to draw people to know and walk with him moment by moment on the earth and throughout all eternity. When you have this intimate relationship with GOD then you are sealed and no man can pluck you out of the Father's hand. You are sealed by the Holy Spirit. You still continue to have free will and will get the results of what you sow upon the earth. It is a relationship that is begun by GOD and is finish by GOD. GOD knows who is his own and will bring them safely through this earth life and be forever in his presence where he is preparing a place for them who have a personal relationship with him. Thank you. Go in peace.

4. Woman Of Courage profile image60

mega, I feel the same way. Give God the glory!

5. GoldiString profile image60
    GoldiStringposted 13 years ago

It's one's comfort zone. Beliefs are sometimes part of one's culture. It's passed on from generation to generation.

1. profile image0

that would include all traditions too?

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That depends on how much value those traditions add to one's life.

6. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Blind faith is no faith indeed and it leads one nowhere. One should have a reason based faith as Quran/Islam/Muhammad guide us. It is inbuilt in a truthful religion that one should accept truth where-ever from it comes one way

7. profile image0
    jerrylposted 13 years ago

People start developing their belief system, from the cradle. The things our parents teach us, whether true or not, puts us into a comfort zone.
    Then we go on to school. We are taught things like patriotism, and swallow it, hook line and sinker. (Honest Abe), (G. Washington's cherry tree.)  etc. etc..
    Then to higher education where some professor tries to instill in us, his interpretation of things in life.

(What is a professor anyway?)  A person who professes to be knowledgable in certain fields. But is that person what he/she claims to be?  Is what they teach the truth?

A lot of people blindly believe everything taught to them.
    Others are apathetic and do not care about anything that challenges their beliefs.

Some are just too stuborn to listen to other possibilities, and others are too afraid that they may have to admit they have been wrong about something for many years

Some things that could change some belief systems will never be allowed to be aired by the media.

It's just hard to get people to think outside the box they have been schooled in.

8. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

Cagsil says:

There are so many people not living for themselves, but some other life after death...that the mystic notion of life after death is better than living life.

Most religious folk don't truly value life and yet they don't even know it. It's a damn shame.

Cagsil, I don't know where you live, but I have never been exposed to people of faith who prefer death to living life, or those who do not enjoy and value their lives...

It's the same as always--people generalizing, and it's silly.  Just as some of the athiests on here are cruel and thoughtless, there are some who are very nice in stating their beliefs, so they shouldn't be all lumped into one category, either.

To say that athiests enjoy and value their lives more than people who have faith in God is just ridiculous.

As far as my own beliefs, I was not raised in any kind of a religious home at all...I have had faith in God for as long as I remember, and like Megs78 said, it's deep in my soul.

I tried hearing the athiests out, reading and listening to their viewpoints, to try to understand them and their chosen path in life.  But my faith is too deeply a part of me to be swayed by talk of "sky fairies", irrational beliefs, or whatever else the non-believers choose to ridicule us with.

Leave me alone in my beliefs, because they are MINE.  Keep yours...I already know how I feel, and I'm not going to change my mind because some "expert" says they know better than me, because they have some college under their belt...that is so condescending and patronizing that it makes me sick.

I've probably learned more about life, just living it, that a lot of those intellectuals will ever learn by reading books.

9. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Because you belong to a family and social unit -- difficult at times to be considered different. Your belief system is deeply rooted in you that you are not comfortable in changing it. Also, it is difficult to change and people are scared of consequences.

Plus a belief system puts your life in order.

Tamcor, That was a powerful, deep and meaningful message, and I fully agree.

2. profile image52

Thank you.

10. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

I disagree with some of you! First how is our kids being pressured about God in schools when they are not allowed to pray anymore or even mention God??? That is a pathetic statement! God is no longer involved in the schools! I think they are being taught to NOT believe in God! You say christianity is being pushed on kids at a early age...yet it seems to me not believing in God is being pushed harder. When one can't pray in a school it is teaching our schools that God is not important!

I would love to know how some of you think religion is pushed in our schools when prayer is not allowed and the very name of God is not allowed???? Prayer should be as much a freedom in the schools as at home!

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Schools are for education - imposing your beliefs on a child is indoctrination, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about the millions of poor kids brainwashed by their parents - as it is their right to "create their children in their own image".

... or if one were a more balanced individual, one could say that it was a parents duty to raise their child with a moral code that they themselves found productive true and good for the nation.

By all means raise your child in the secular mould,it will matter not one jot, if God has predestined him or her for election, they will find the truth and come to faith...

Must be annoying to know that your actions of rebellion are futile.

1. profile image0

are you saying that people that aren't christians can't have any morals?

11. profile image53
    BeHealthyposted 13 years ago

Those of us who are Christ-followers are fully aware of what we believe. We cannot hold non-belivers to the same standard we hold each other because the wisdom we are receiving from the Bible and the Holy Spirit is (to quote the Bible for a moment)"foolishness" to those who do not believe. They lack the understanding that is given to us (Christ-followers) when we accept the gift that Christ has given us. So, no amount of arguing will help. Try praying for your non-believing friends and see what happens. God has a way of turning even the blindest eye (or mind) His way.  Thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)