jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

Why Do People Vent?

1. Phil Perez profile image81
    Phil Perezposted 3 years ago

Why Do People Vent?

Why is it that when people vent they aren't looking for an opinion? I noticed this tendency from women. Women enjoy talking so much and only want to get whatever is on their minds, off their chest. I cannot seem to understand that. I always believed that people who vented were implying that they needed advice. What's the point of asking for help if you aren't asking for help? How is just talking helpful? It may help you realize (if you're smart enough) but if you weren't able to do that before you vented then you're asking for advice and denying that makes you a liar.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image93
    Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago

Not everyone need to vent, but if they do-- you can ignore it. Walk away, step aside.
    Lots of things need vents-- cooking stoves, bathroom fans, chimneys. They all serve the useful purpose of letting noxious vapors dissipate and become harmless.

Phil Perezposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for adding humor into your answer, Rochelle. Ignoring is the easy way out, I'm not looking for the temporary solution, I want the permanent solution!

3. kalinin1158 profile image99
    kalinin1158posted 3 years ago

I agree - in my experience, when people vent, they aren't asking for your opinion or advice. Why do they do that? My guess is, they need a sympathetic ear, they're self-centered, they want the attention, they don't realize you might have valuable input to offer etc. Personally, I hate when people "use" me to vent.

I think it's only OK between close friends, with an understanding that this IS venting, and it's OK, I'm allowing you to do that, because we're friends. Anybody else - please find yourself another dumpster.

Exactly! They want to reassure their egos and/or self-esteem. I don't appreciate that. If they want an answer, I'll give them one. Between bestfriends, maybe. Because you have more tolerance towards a friend than an acquaintance.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 3 years ago

Do you really think men don't vent? That's rhetorical, I just wanted to get it off my chest.

1. peeples profile image95
      peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

HaHa!

2. Phil Perez profile image81

HAHAHA.

5. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

I've always speculated that people who don't talk out what's on their mind, simply don't think a lot (have a lot on their minds). I vent often with my husband and don't want advice. I do it because my brain will occasionally get on overload where my thoughts race. The amount of thoughts that seem to happen simultaneously are over bearing. SO I spend 10 minutes spewing it all out to my husband, just to be able to release my worries (some people pray to do this).
    On a side note my husband does it just as often.

Right, peeples! Your thoughts go on overload. You're overthinking, and cannot handle all those thoughts and/or possibilities at once. So you move the thoughts to someone else. There's a flaw in that. You still haven't figured out your problem!

2. peeples profile image95

Sometimes there is no solution. My thoughts go on overload because that is how my brain works. Always has been like that. No one can fix it. No advice will fix the problem. Venting is the band aid.

3. Phil Perez profile image81

I'm sorry, peeples. I refuse to accept that! Where there's a will there's a way! You just have to try to think about it in a practical and efficient way!
      Of course men will vent, I just said the tendency is stronger towards women, haha!

4. peeples profile image95

Oh there's a way, lol. It's called medication! Which has far more side effects than venting! smile

5. Phil Perez profile image81

Ha, nice one!

working