jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

When you help someone, do you ever think, “What’s in it for me?”

1. swalia profile image54
    swaliaposted 2 years ago

When you help someone, do you ever think, “What’s in it for me?”

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

It depends on who I'm helping and how often I have helped them over the years. At some point you have to draw the line if you feel you are being taken advantage of. Some folks will only contact you when they need something! No one enjoys being taken for granted or used.

swaliaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You are right. Sometimes people try to take advantage of your kindness and that is when you should say a firm 'no.'

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Smartest man I know.  Good answer, Mr. Dashing!

3. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

Not so much "what's in it for me?" as "are you asking for help, or a freebie?". I will often volunteer to help people do things, because I see they need it, and I can pitch in. However, when someone asks for "help", nine times out of ten, they're asking me to give them something (artwork, products, lessons) for free, because they don't want to pay for it. I don't give away the things that earn my living, no matter who is asking for "help".

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Good for you!

4. Naresh4u profile image61
    Naresh4uposted 2 years ago

Helping hands should never expect for profit in help.....

swaliaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

well said!

5. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8971286_f260.jpg

It depends.  I give my help very sparingly.  I learned that the more one gives, the more people expect one to give.  I have seen this from my mother who gave & gave w/o expecting anything in return.  People TOOK advantage of her too.  I saw this & I can aptly say that I am the EXACT opposite.  I don't give unless it is absolutely necessary & I do get a RETURN.  Smart people act the way I do.  People respect those like me!  My favorite answer is NO.  I am so good at saying it!  If people want help, THEY CAN HELP THEMSELVES or DO WITHOUT!

working