jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Disclaimer: I am a Black woman, now for the question-to all Black people out the

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Disclaimer: I am a Black woman, now for the question-to all Black people out there, how has

organized religion negatively impacted Blacks individually and community wise culturally, emotionally, mentally, psychologically, and/or socioeconomically?  Why are Blacks so dependent upon religion to the point of being an addiction?  Please give detailed answers.

2. feenix profile image61
    feenixposted 2 years ago

Wow, Grace, this is really a very-good and thought-provoking question.

Briefly, and in my opinion, blacks' "addiction" to organized religion was engendered by the immense amount of cruel-and-inhumane treatment that their society was forced to endure in slavery and subsequent forms of white racism.

Based on my observations, and what has taken place in my own life, when people are constantly feeling down and out and believe they have no worthy place to go, they go on a desperate search for a "helping hand."

And throughout the years, there has been a great many conniving black preachers who have succeeded at convincing the black masses that they are that "helping hand."

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great answer indeed. It's so good to have you back.

3. SilentMagenta profile image70
    SilentMagentaposted 2 years ago

Honestly, tradition has always ruined the black community. The sad part is the church continues this tradition. We alienate each other based on our religion and religious views. We separate ourselves from sinner when really judging we all are full of sin. It's helping divide the black community to believe in what better and worse of us. Not to mention making us farther from god at the same time. Churches are slowly making the money value more important in the message. Fake messagers are going around speaking of the word in order to make a quick dollar. Psychologically, we believe that we don't fit in with the other group of blacks because we are not perfect. Bringing us further from not only the black community but further from the church itself. It's like a butterfly effect.