jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Why is it that when you

1. Lady Guinevere profile image61
    Lady Guinevereposted 2 years ago

Why is it that when you

tell people to do their own research and they you will not give them the answer or a link, that they automatically think that you don't know what you are talking about?

2. Oztinato profile image71
    Oztinatoposted 2 years ago

Because they are too lazy to use google for a minute or two.

Lady Guinevereposted 2 years agoin reply to this

See my comment to The Examiner-1 below.

3. Aime F profile image86
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

Because generally if you're presenting something in an argument people assume you got it from somewhere/a reputable source. The Internet is a pretty big place and it can be hard to navigate things, especially if you're looking for a small bit of information on a big topic.

I personally am always happy to present other people with my sources - why not? If you think you have solid information then all it will do is back up your argument. Seems like you'd want to give a source, in most cases.

Wht would anyone learn if it is always given to them on a silver platter with a silver spoon.  I have given my sources more than once and yet they still ask.  I am tired of constantly giving the links to my sources and being ignored.

2. Aime F profile image86
      Aime Fposted 2 years agoin reply to this

How does searching for your source teach someone anything? Unless you're trying to teach them how to use search engines...

There's a reason academic papers and professional studies require sources to be cited. It's supplemental.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image61

How do you learn anything if you do not go looking in the first place?  I give keywords and phrases.  They don't have to be my sources and never said tht they ever had to be.

4. Aime F profile image86
      Aime Fposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I guess it depends. If it's a topic someone has never researched, then sure, tell them to do research. But a lot of what I see on here is someone who already has researched the topic but not come across what the other person is referencing.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image61

True but I didn't mean just on here.  It is on other sites as well.  I take a look at both sides of the subject and will always look at the opposite one they reference in their subject too...4 intance my McDonald's questions..it was 1st on my FB page

4. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago

Probably because someone like that is not persistant and does not know how to do research and be observant.

Exactly, they want it told to them all the time and many times at that.  Why can't they be responsible and learn things and do their own research?

5. Angela Blair profile image79
    Angela Blairposted 2 years ago

First of all I'm a story teller so rarely research. That being true -- I've refused answers, links, etc. simply because the person posing the question needs to do their own work, find their own way and use their own words. I've definitely answered questions regarding age, etc. as I'm older'n dirt and that's just a matter of life experience but every writer needs the experience of finding their own way and writing in their own style. It's amazing how one remembers -- far better -- what they've learned when they've personally sought it out, made their own notes and made their own decisions about whatever subject they've chosen. I've followed this guideline for years -- no matter the subject -- and if an inquirer thinks I don't know what I'm talking about -- they'll just find another source to make their work easier and won't come back to me.

"It's amazing how one remembers -- far better -- what they've learned when they've personally sought it out"  I agree totally with that statement!  They don't learn half as much given all the answers as they do in finding them themselves.

working