jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should smoking in public places be banned by local governments?

1. RocketCityWriter profile image83
    RocketCityWriterposted 7 years ago

Should smoking in public places be banned by local governments?

Smoking is a nasty habit, but should cities and towns be able to ban smokers from smoking in outdoor public places?

2. John B Badd profile image61
    John B Baddposted 7 years ago

No it is a violation of basic human rights to ban ones ability to smoke outside in public.  A thousand cigarettes put of less harmful emissions than one gallon of gas so I do not want anyone to come back at me with the harmful rebuttal.
    If they want to ban smoking outside then they need to ban driving outside and operating coal burning factories or power plants outside as well. 
    The whole concept is ridiculous and it is a form of control being pushed by insurance lobbyists who use emotions to control the public.

3. hypnosis4u2 profile image76
    hypnosis4u2posted 7 years ago

There are a lot of things I'd like to see banned in public places because they irritate me. They include cell phone conversations - I have no interest in hearing what you and your friend are doing tonight or knowing about it. But I guess this would impinge on freedom of speech so I guess I'll accept it.

Smoking is another thing I'd like to see banned because it smells awful but I guess I can just get up and move somewhere else. At the end of the day smokers need to have a conscious, and be considerate to others about where they smoke, and the impact it has on others rather than be told where and when they can smoke. Unfortunately, the smoking habit is strong and usually overcomes consideration for others when the desire to smoke happens.

4. profile image52
    RReslanposted 7 years ago

Nope, I disagree with governments banning smokers from public places whether indoor or outdoor. Since it is a liability for them smoking indoors, outdoor patios and such should still allow them to smoke as they are patrons like any other. Might as well limit people from drinking in order to limit drunk drivers. (whack i know? well banning smokers from smoking OUTSIDE is just as whack)

Check out my hub article "Why the US Public Education is a failure" smile

url: http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-The-US-Publ … -a-Failure

working