jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Should managers have the authority to fire their employees?

1. Peter Wathituni profile image75
    Peter Wathituniposted 2 years ago

Should managers have the authority to fire their employees?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

Isn't that pretty much what a manager is supposed to do?

Peter Wathituniposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Keith, I have heard a few cases where a manager fired an employee out of personal issues. I think shouldn't happen. Don't you think so?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image98
      FatFreddysCatposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Of course not, but a manager's job is to "manage" a business without making it personal.. If an employee isn't performing their work to the manager's satisfaction, then it's the manager's duty to cut them.

3. Peter Wathituni profile image75

To avoid cases where some managers get personal when dealing with business issues, should they perhaps be deprived of this role?

3. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

Peter......I suppose this would have to do with any given company, institution or business and their respective policies and authority delegations.  However, having been in middle and upper "management" through most of my employment history, I not only had the authority you mention, but this was an integral responsibility.

Management by it's very nature is more often than not expected to interview, screen, hire, train and supervise first line of staff.  This being a fact, there are always a list of rules within a company as well as State Employment rules & regulations, often Unions, which protect employees from unfair practice.  Should someone feel they were unfairly fired, there are numerous options that employees have to file grievances and appeals.

It sounds as though you have experienced a personal situation.  If this is the case, I would strongly recommend that you look into any options that may be available to you at your place of employment.

I see that you do not live in the U.S.A.....so I'm afraid I have no knowledge of just how these business practices play out in Countries other than my own.

I hope I have been of at least some help to you. Peace, Paula.

Thanks  Paula....You advice is very helpful to me.

working