Non-compete contracts: something only true Republicans can love

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image80
    Credence2posted 3 months ago

Just one example of exploitation of labor by corporate capitalists that I have warned about before. Living in Hawaii for a time, much of that was common and it is what I consider a dirty trick. It is high time that this  practice gets confronted. Conservatives love to screw the little guy, they speak of free markets and open trade that benefits the capitalists. They speak of the right to work status generally against unions and organized labor, again benefitting greedy capitalists. But where is the right not to be screwed by the capitalists who wants to reduce employees rights and employment options to a stage not far above slavery?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/federal- … 7f7bf4d211

In case you don't like Huffpost, here is the account from CBS News.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ftc-noncom … ement-ban/

I've said my piece,
    Your thoughts..?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 months agoin reply to this

"But where is the right not to be screwed by the capitalists who wants to reduce employees rights and employment options to a stage not far above slavery?"

Stripped of your gross exaggeration it is where it always was and should be; in the feet of the employee.  You don't like a job, walk away!  Quit whining and crying that you can't do it; just put one foot in front of another until you are somewhere else.

Credence2posted 3 months agoin reply to this

Yes, they are free to move now, without reprisal...

The application of successful Right cross on the rightwing is a always something to celebrate.

And the demands that the Left always control everything (like private contracts between consenting adults) is always something to fight.

Not every agreement between labor and management is legal even if consensual, you should know that by reviewing laws in that regard.

I guess management can create whatever contract they want, but non-competes have been rendered not enforceable anywhere, that is good enough for me.

Absolutely!  Criminals and crooks abound...and they are not always (or even mostly) on the side of management.

The only problem I have with the FTC ruling is that we once more have unelected committees making and enforcing laws.  Not the way it is supposed to be.

"The only problem I have with the FTC ruling is that we once more have unelected committees making and enforcing laws.  Not the way it is supposed to be."

Perhaps...

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
        Kathleen Cochranposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Wilderness: "Just walk away." You make it sound so easy. If it was, they would.

2. Sharlee01 profile image89
      Sharlee01posted 3 months agoin reply to this

I find myself pondering why there seems to be such a strong bias reflected in your title concerning this specific issue.  Here is a bit of food for thought.

04/23/24  - Will Congress pass a bill to ban noncompete agreements?

"Congress has not given the FTC explicit authority to ban noncompetes, though there have been several bipartisan bills introduced to reform noncompete agreements.
      "Sens. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), Todd Young (R-Ind.), Tim Kaine (D-Va.) and Kevin Kramer (R-N.D.) have introduced the Workforce Mobility Act, which limits the use of noncompete agreements. Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Maggie Hassan (D-N.H.) have also introduced the Freedom to Compete Act.20 hours ago"

“If we want to continue to grow our economy, we must protect and empower American workers,” Kaine said after the vote.

“I’m glad the Federal Trade Commission is taking this step to ban non-compete agreements, which stifle wage growth, hinder job mobility, and make it harder for businesses to hire talent. This will expand job opportunities for more Americans, increase wages, promote innovation, and support our country’s economic growth,” Kaine said."
      https://thehill.com/business/4616169-ft … 0Murphy%20(D%2D,the%20Freedom%20to%20Compete%20Act.
      Note the R by the names of some that are backing the bill.

July 15, 2021  Sponsor:    Sen. Rubio, Marco [R-FL] (Introduced 07/15/2021)
      S.2375 - Freedom To Compete Act --  To amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to prevent employers from using non-compete agreements in employment contracts for certain non-exempt employees.

Feb 9, 2023  Sponsor: Sen. Rubio, Marco [R-FL] (Introduced 02/09/2023)
      S.379 - Freedom To Compete Act of 20232023 -  To amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to prevent employers from using non-compete agreements in employment contracts for certain non-exempt employees.
      https://www.rubio.senate.gov/rubio-hass … greements/

Rubio has worked to amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to prevent employers from using non-compete agreements in employment contracts for certain non-exempt employees.

I find these agreement to be a loathsome practice, that should be associated only with research and development, not making sub sandwiches.

As long as I get rid of it, I am open to any and all solutions.

1. Sharlee01 profile image89

Cred, I did not share my view on the bill that Congress has offered, which much agrees with your view to ban noncompetes. I also support the bipartisan bill.  Not sure you needed to use this title -- "Non-compete contracts: something only true Republicans can love"

You know this truely shows a bias. I am a Republican, and as I said, I support the bill. Does pointing the finger so clearly not deepen a divide?

Does what I offered not go to show you that Congress has worked in a bipartisan fashion together on the bill that would address  Non-compete contracts?

Yes, your information gave me pause to stand back, but  dont forget in the FTC vote 3 Democrats were for it  and 2 republicans were against due to technicalities. Republicans generally are instinctly against working class people and that reflex is why the two Republicans on the board voted against it.

I still believe the Republicans and their embrace of corporate capitalism will prove to be the only source of resistance to the change if any.

I can agree certainly, capitalism holds significant appeal for some Republicans. In my view, due to its alignment with principles such as individual freedom, economic efficiency, and the promotion of innovation.

For instance, I argue that capitalism encourages entrepreneurship by providing incentives for individuals to take risks and start businesses, which in turn drives economic growth and creates jobs.

Republicans tend to appreciate the importance of competition in capitalism, believing it leads to lower prices, higher quality goods and services, and greater consumer choice for all.  These are just a couple of reasons why capitalism resonates strongly with the Republican ideology.

Have you ever considered the importance of successful businesses? They're the backbone of our economy. Without them, where would we be? Would we have the multitude of job opportunities crucial for national growth, contributing to a high standard of living akin to that enjoyed by many in the US? I fail to comprehend anyone opposing capitalism. I simply can't envision our nation without it. From my perspective, capitalism has shaped us into one of the most innovative, prosperous nations on Earth.

Fine, but outside all of the "great things"we don't want an alignment with the exploitation of labor, no one should be protecting Capitalism in support of that.

I am not against capitalism per se, but I am against excesses and abuse as a part of it.
                And the use of non-compete contract in regards to employees who flip burgers is an example of that abuse.

While capitalism has its share of abuses, our country has undoubtedly gained from it. Moreover, we've navigated challenges like forming unions and implementing numerous federal laws and regulations that businesses must adhere to. However, it's important to acknowledge that each of these issues also carries its own set of problems.

We can work  for perfect, while enjoying some of the perks of capitalism.

But if you notice, no one was threatening Capitalism, more like directing attention to an unfair practice which is a part of it. Look how Republicans act as if all of Capitalism is threatened by just reining one abhorrent practice. They all line up quickly to defend the indefensible and serve the capitalist masters and the rights of working people be damned.

A larger percentage  of MY people are part of that working class. This is just one example of many why Republicans receive little support from our community as they always take the wrong side in regards to issues like this.

2. wilderness profile image95

I have never heard of a non-compete clause for a burger flipper (or a sub maker).  Heck, I've never heard of a signed contract for a burger flipper!

Does that really happen (examples, please) or is just gross exaggeration?

There was a case involving the Jimmy John's franchise that used such agreements in regards to its employees. Was there a need to protect proprietary processes and procedures unique to Jimmy John's in the preparation of sub sandwiches?

It was in the initial linked article that I provided.

No exaggeration....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)