jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Ever Witnessed A Bird Trying To Teach Its Young How To Fly?

1. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 2 years ago

Ever Witnessed A Bird Trying To Teach Its Young How To Fly?

I have. Recently someone spoke about having witnessed this awesome thing! Brought back memories. Aviation techniques by instinct I would say. Registered in the creature's DNA along with the compulsion to teach its offspring how to fly! Flying lessons passed down from generation to generation, with inflight instructions from an aviator from nature. I have never seen a cat trying to teach its young how to catch mice, and I don't think it happens either, but birds ... ? Amazing indeed! What are your views?

2. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 2 years ago

Yes, I have seen adult birds teaching their young and over the years have concluded that there is a definite learning curve the juniors have to follow or else!
    When I was a boy my grandmother lived on a farm and I was able each year to witness the swallows taking off for their maiden flights, always an exciting time, and on rare occasions ending in tragedy, as is the way with Mother Nature. As with most young birds these swallows had the instinct to fly - it's built in - but they do have to try and follow their parents and learn how to gather insects on the wing for example, learn about the best places to feed, areas to avoid and places to gather.
    It's a question of trial and error, follow and copy, live and learn. Some make mistakes, crash land, make bad judgements in wind and rain. Some end up on the floor out of breath, not a good place for a swallow.
    This year I've seen tiny finches learning from their parents in the hedgerows. Again, it's a follow and dare process but we did see them land prematurely, breathless, in places not normally frequented. Young birds are funny when learning as they seem real novices, eager but not yet up to scratch, like young racing drivers with more heart than head.
    I love birds, all natural things really, and study them closely, although I'm not a scientist more of an amateur sleuth.
    All creatures learn. Most get to master their particular skill but some, odd ones out, really do have a challenge learning. This is most acutely observed when newcomers to nesting have to make their first nest - you can get all kinds of nests built in the wrong place, or in strange places, like old car engines in a garage, in a street lamp, inside a church!!
    Birds are truly great fun as well as fascinating creatures to study.

quicksandposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It's one of the many wonders of nature that many people have never been fortunate enough to observe and analyze! Thanks a lot Andrew, for posting your observations. Your views are much appreciated. smile

3. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

I had seen a young bird hurt its wing couldn't fly. So it was in my backyard. Everyday the mommy bird comes to feed the young, encourage it to fly

quicksandposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Encouragement does wonders. Thanks for posting, Peachy. smile

working