jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Are extinctions evolution?

1. poleflux profile image70
    polefluxposted 2 years ago

Are extinctions evolution?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

Extinction is part of evolution, yes. Animals that cannot adapt to changing environments do not survive. Aside from ending their contribution to the tree of life, it often can have a larger impact on other animals that were affected, in some way, by the animal that went extinct. For example, an extinct predator might make it's prey explode in population and varieties.

3. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 2 years ago

Yes, evolution is a continuous and self-transcending process. All things are within and not outside this process. This includes extinction; this includes you, even if you lived for a thousand years. Interesting question.

4. lone77star profile image85
    lone77starposted 2 years ago

Yes, extinctions can lead to other species having an opening to thrive.

When the dinosaurs left the Earth, mammals had an opportunity to take their place.

Scientists are finding that some evolutions were extremely rapid. I suspect that their model of random mutation is heavily flawed. I also suspect that when God created matter, He included an intelligence of a sort that allows a life form to find a more successful form when the environment changes.

The experiments in California on amino acids on fast collisions proved that complexity can be added by destructive collisions, thus improving the chances of life.

If environment stays relatively constant for eons, as it seemed to do for many periods, then life forms stay relatively constant. When disasters strike, life forms morph toward a more successful form. Those that are not fast enough, go extinct.

Random mutation may have some, little or no part in evolution. The molecular level "desire" to survive is likely the driving force, and life finds a way.

1. poleflux profile image70
      polefluxposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I bet planets are created in a very similar manner.  Different collisions bring life to planets when the right "random" elements combine to sustain it.  Great answer!