jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Of the two species that are becoming extinct, which is the most important large

1. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

Of the two species that are becoming extinct, which is the most important large species?

The gradual extinction of the elephant and great whales are a tragedy, and a human tragedy, as well; which is the most important species to you?

2. cryptid profile image97
    cryptidposted 5 years ago

I think all species teetering on the brink of extinction are important, most definitely the two you mention.  Previous generations may have been able to claim ignorance, but with our present knowledge of the natural world if any species go extinct on our watch we ought to be ashamed of ourselves.

whonunuwhoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

In deed we should be ashamed,cryptid, thank you for your understanding and comment.

2. andrew savage profile image60
      andrew savageposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Do you believe that endangered species that eat people should be saved or left to the natural order of gradual extinction?

3. clairemy profile image77
    clairemyposted 5 years ago

I believe both are equally important in their own way, as they both live in different enviroments on our planet. They should have all the help they can get to survive and thrive.

whonunuwhoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree wholeheartedly,clairemy, thanks for you comment.

2. teaches12345 profile image95
      teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that both are important to our planet and we should seek ways to save them from extinction.

4. andrew savage profile image60
    andrew savageposted 5 years ago

While it is a tragedy if the two were to become extinict, it would be far worse for the great whales to become extinct as there exists more ocean than land mass in the world. Elephants can be relocated to reservations and preserves, whereas it is much more challenging to relocate whales and provide them with a habitat that is large enough to accomadate for their needs.

If whales go extinct it is a dead clue that either there are too many humans fowling the planet, or that some catastrophy is near.
    Furthermore, with the size of the ocean, and the fact that the two species are related, I believe whales are more likely to continue evolving and could one day become in the likeness of elephants again by means of natural selection or artificial intervention of Mankind.

working